Static IP address provisioning process

• Thread starter Thread starter MrGordon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 239
  • Views Views 28,584
ISP
Airtel
Reading couple of comments in the forum about increased or un-capped speeds when opting for a static IP address, I submitted a request on 27th Feb using the Airtel app asking for a static IP address. Next day I got a call to confirm the request, I gave the go-ahead and asked what the price would be. Was told its Rs 150 + tax (which is different from the Rs 199 + tax price that was mentioned in this forum).

Then today I got a call from an Airtel technician for installation, which was odd but I assumed it is about the static IP address. Two technicians arrived, but they had no clue what had to be done. Cause in their mobile app, the request was showing as a new connection and had come with a Nokia ONT/Wireless router. Anyway after speaking to few of their seniors they took a photo of the bottom side of my existing ZTE ONT and sent it to someone. They then rescheduled the appointment for later today saying it would be done from the backend as they can't seem to do it.

MK42Q40.png
TccOuvy.png

In the Airtel app, I can see a new order in progress and it also says plan change in progress so it doesn't let me change the plan (not that I want to, but just an indication that something is in progress I guess)

Anyway, the interesting thing which maybe connected to this is, now I get a dynamic public IP address when I establish the PPPoE connection. And I currently use it in bridge mode, so there is a PPPoE session on the ZTE ONT and on my own router, both get a different public IPv4 address. Prior to this, I used to get an IP address from the CGNAT 100.x.x.x range.

x2CrICk.png
uEIqtub.png

Will wait and see how it progresses.

call the engineer and ask about the status of static ip. usually you will get static ip within 24 hours on moving from cg-nat to public dynamic ip.
your static ip might not work when engineer will provide you. if he knows about this then he will whatsapp to NOC and tell them to apply routing for this static ip else you can tell him to do that if internet is not working.

after whatapp to NOC, your internet will start working within 15 minutes

Thanks for the details. It's good to know that the switch to CGNAT --> Dynamic Public IP address is part of the process.

The technicians who visited had no clue what the request actually entailed and from the way they were talking among themselves, it didn't seem like they even knew what static IP address itself means. So I will give it sometime and see how things move. As of now internet continues to work with the dynamic public IP address.

patience, i got it in 2 days .. they will come do the setting or text you the details ..

they will text you the static ip information only if your router wan settings are not greyed out(locked). if it is locked, they will do the configuration from backend.

@nishantt6969 In my case, yes the options are locked in the ZTE ONT UI. So they'd need to push the changes which is fine. However, now the question is, if the changes are pushed to the ONT, then how will I use the same IP address info for my bridge setup? 🤔

aVJl8Ge.png

I don't really care of the active session in the ONT.

you will be able to see static IP details input in your ont. Copy paste in your bridge setup. Also if you are able to create new WAN profile in ZTE ont then it is not locked.

Okay, got it. Yeah I can create a new WAN profile with a static IP address. In that case, I hope they just provide the static IP address details so that I can configure it on my main router.

uXccvBj.png

Anyway no update from Airtel yet, will post an update when I hear from them next.

Your area airtel manager will text you the details. I have been through this many times.

It takes about 4-7 days to provision the static IP, be patient with Airtel they are slow.

Guys, may be it depends on the size of the city? It took me 4 days to get my IP back in '21. Yeah, so it's probably YMMV. Rule of the thumb with Airtel..be patient. 🙂

I'll ask for a static IP soon and let you guys know if anything has changed.