State of BSNL & MTNL

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 220
  • Views Views 29,623
😛 I know. by shutdown they probably mean sell of the assets, spectrum and transfer users to other networks. we know the shit that happened during vodafone-idea merger

as long as it does not happen like the shutdown of reliance communications.

These resource hogging government entities (BSNL, Air India, etc.) should be shut down as soon as possible. They just can't work in a country like India. Just read that BSNL has 5 times more employees than Airtel. Quite a perspective that.

bsnl also service the entirety of the country. including every village out there in the country. it's their job to link all the villages and gram panchayats and what not. airtel would only focus on areas which they consider profitable. government needs to have presence in a critical area like telecom. especially when communication is so important tool for governance. they cannot outsource it all to private companies who have the ability to monitor all forms of communication. but then we live in a country where official business is conducted over whatsapp and private businesses are involved in essential government infrastructure like NPCI, GSTN and Aadhaar.

^ this is party true. I dont get BSNL signal in my dads village whereas I get 2 bars on jio now. Also I got full signals during my 800km train ride to my dads native village whereas earlier bsnl sim was showing 2 signals and no internet

BSNL was supposed to be backbone of fiber internet in india but now it mostly has 3 people doing 1 people job and collecting salaries. It can trim a lot of fat but workers union just dont allow jobs to be cut so we're stuck with this monolithic overstaffed orgaisation doing bare minimum to keep functioning.

But it still doesnt provide service which it is obligated to provide do they?

what shall be the way forward then? One one side we have a company who posted a loss of Rs 4,859 crore in 2015-16, Rs 4,786 crore in 2016-17 and Rs 4,785 crore (provisional and unaudited) in 2017-18 and also further losses expected at least till 2020

and on other hand we have jio which is providing service for railways now.

Logical move would be to reduce the fat and improve efficiency which is being opposed by workers union. So what the way forward? threaten to dissolve the company and award the contract to jio. which I think is being done here.

that's the thing. privatization of critical infrastructure is just not a good idea in a country like ours. bsnl is at least accountable to the people of the country through rti and cag. it's basically similar to how they came up with aadhaar to fix the shortcomings of all the existing IDs instead of fixing the problem with those IDs.

but is spending thousands of crores each year feasible? BSNL missed 4G train due to politicians and now 5G deployment will cost thousands of crores of new investment. So I don't forcast a profit for BSNL till 2025 atleast and thousands of more crores loss till then. its just another Air india in the making.