Starlink Pre-orders started in India

Don't forget the 18% GST on everything. 😛

Anyone else got the invite? I had signed up for service availability notification in their site back in 2019. Got a mail from them on 26th Feb inviting deposit for early adoption. According to them they are targetting coverage in my area by 2022.

Screenshot of deposit placing page:

Screen-Shot-2021-02-28-at-9-53-42-AM.png

Don't they need gormint approval to beam internet signals?

I guess they have applied for approval ? It is just that they want estimate data how many are willing to take it . So the orders are opened

A local unit is required for an internet company to offer its services in India, where Starlink — assuming that it gets the license — plans to offer 200,000 active terminals in over 160,000 districts by December 2022, the company representatives said. That’s an ambitious goal for the company, which as of August had shipped 100,000 user terminals in 14 countries.

The company said over the weekend that it’s working with Niti Aayog, a powerful Indian think tank, to identify 12 districts in the country for Starlink’s initial deployment.

Techcrunch figured out what Niti Ayog is. A powerful Indian Think Tank. Whatever that means.