Starlink Pre-orders started in India

Navjot Singh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Airtel
It is launching in India in 2022. Planning to cover most if not all regions.

You should be able to search for your address and then do a pre-order for $99. I am not sure if TRAI has given the go-ahead yet.

Interest free loan to buy more bitcoin 🤔

Looks like pre-orders started for Starlink in India

kcU5t8w.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking to order one for lulz

what if i move to a different place/city? Can I take this with me?
Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

Lol exactly, i was thinking to try it just because tech is cool.

You should be able to take anywhere, i dont see any reason not to.

just checked you cannot move it to a different city/state? 🙁

This is not a replacement of normal broadband as you need roof access which may not be available in a apartment setup and obvious latency, speed limitations.

Do they have monthly plans or just a one time fee for now?

So what I think is mobility will be limited at the first phase and might pick as tech evolves. May be by raising a support ticket for moving to another cell (State/City etc)

“Cell” might very well cover onecity and nearby areas atleast.

This was answered in reddit A.M.A by starlink team

Real blocker for me would the price. We have to see how much it will be monthly ( currently its 99$ )

Expensive though, I don't think many people in India will be willing to pay 500 dollars for the equipment + 99 dollars every month.

SpaceX will allow mobility on their service soon when they go for Stable launch after Beta(current situation) . Still you can move it a few metres and use it.
After the proper launch , it can be installed Home-Trucks , Yachts , Ships , Mobile-homes , etc . Maybe a car mount can also come in the future

It is best suited for villages and half-urban areas. And price is definitely high which Starlink should consider when they are planning out a roadmap for implementation
Wireless space(spectrum) is definitely limited and Rural areas should be benefited more than Urban areas . I believe Fiber should only expand in Urban areas and if Starlink starts rolling out to mass public in Urban , it will be the same condition as 4G in India .

The satellites launched currently are already congested in Europe region with just the Beta programme. Imagine India with such dense population

Last edited:
I received this email.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-145145_Gmail.webp
    Screenshot_20210227-145145_Gmail.webp
    77.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot_20210227-145153_Gmail.webp
    Screenshot_20210227-145153_Gmail.webp
    75.1 KB · Views: 148