Standard Chartered Bank in India

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 93
  • Views Views 46,336
Have you faced any issue transacting with Credit Cards of other Banks?

I did. HSBC does too much of torture to pay credit call bills when I never missed a payment for any credit card for 7 years.

With Citi bank I had some issue when flight ticket got cancelled, citi made a mess of it.

On the contrary, SC Bank (Manhattan Credit Card) gives me the best deals, waives of any surcharges, any late payments (due to NEFT sometimes) etc

Totally hassle free.

----------

haha.

i have a state bank of india debit card that seems to work only in some of the ATMs in my localities. other ATMs reject it. never understood why this happens.

Generally you find SBI ATMs everywhere. I never had any such occasion to search for SBI ATMs for the past 8 months. Used once in citibank, worked fine for me.

it does not work in the sbi atm machine in my sector. i always stick with the kotak mahindra atm. it has never failed for me. earlier i preferred the andhra bank atm. sbi has the most unreliable atm in my experience. icici is also fine though. kotak has been awesome. i assume because it does not get raped as much as the other ones in the market.

Afaik not all Banks support other Banks, specially related to the payment systems. State Bank cards are mostly Master Card and sometimesMaestro, Maestro cards are rarely supported. Infact many of my colleagues in office who have their salary account with Citibank were given Maestro cards, and they are not able to use it anywhere except at Citibank ATM's.

ah. Thats bad luck!

Arent all the ATMs maintained by third parties. In that case all of them should work well. Or is it different for PS Banks.

----------

Afaik not all Banks support other Banks, specially related to the payment systems. State Bank cards are mostly Master Card and sometimesMaestro, Maestro cards are rarely supported. Infact many of my colleagues in office who have their salary account with Citibank were given Maestro cards, and they are not able to use it anywhere except at Citibank ATM's.

Citibank cards work fine at all SBI, Axis and HDFC Bank ATMs for sure. Used Citibank for 3+ years

Did you check the condition of the magnetic strip.... It may not be able to read some information.

i think it is a technical problem. sbi issued a second debit card which is sort of lost. i use the first one. from what i see, they have not exactly disabled it. i think SBI's own atm rejects it but other atms handle it just fine 😀

That actually makes a lot of sense.

----------

On a separate note, shouldnt you be calling up and reporting a lost card for security purposes.

Fine - But always a safe bet to get a new card, unless you feel you are equally bound to loose it.

wow. just got an email from standard chartered...

This could have occurred due to a rare technical failure. We have rectified the
same at our end and request you to retry. We sincerely regret any inconvenience
that may have been caused to you in this regard. Please revert if you require
further assistance.

around 10 days after i complained. amazing quality of service.

Standard chartered had decent credit cards but they are hell bent to collect the yearly charges. I have been using their platinum card from last 3 years.yearly charges for first year was free and the second year i had to pay 750 rs + taxes as yearly fee. I called them and asked them to waive it off since i use my card very frequently for atleast 20k each month. They didn't oblige and i had to shell out the fee. This year i'm going to cancel their card if they don't waive off the fee. I would rather get a Indianoil citibank card and use my points to redeem for fuel. Standard chartered will charge 99 rs as handling fee if one needs to redeem the points..My dad has salary account with them from last 10 year or so. This year they debited his account by 250 rs + taxes as debit card fee which they never charged in the last 10 years.Having said all this we never had any complaints related to their service. Customer service has been very decent & prompt.

i do not pay anything for my stanchart titanium card. but i do pay close to 900 bucks for the debit card 😛i get angry when the charges are cut once a year but try not to think about it for the rest of the year. biggest reason i pay for the expensive debit card is the ability to take out larger sum of money from ATMs. cheaper version has a low amount restriction. sucks.

Standard chartered had decent credit cards but they are hell bent to collect the yearly charges. I have been using their platinum card from last 3 years.yearly charges for first year was free and the second year i had to pay 750 rs + taxes as yearly fee. I called them and asked them to waive it off since i use my card very frequently for atleast 20k each month. They didn't oblige and i had to shell out the fee. This year i'm going to cancel their card if they don't waive off the fee. I would rather get a Indianoil citibank card and use my points to redeem for fuel. Standard chartered will charge 99 rs as handling fee if one needs to redeem the points.

Just curious, did they call you up for confirmation asking whether you would like to continue using their card before deducting the annual fee? Asking, cause I don't plan on continuing mine 😛

- - - Updated - - -

biggest reason i pay for the expensive debit card is the ability to take out larger sum of money from ATMs. cheaper version has a low amount restriction. sucks.

Why not use multiple debit cards of different banks? :-/ I have three as backup.

too many bank accounts makes things complicated for a confused guy like me 🙂 i do have an icici bank account. i have not used its debit card in years though. i have been considering shutting down stanchart's bank account for a while now. switching to icici full time. just too lazy to go ahead with this plan.