Stand up for your freedom to install free software

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Stand up for your freedom to install free software — Free Software Foundation — working together for free software

Microsoft has announced that if computer makers wish to distribute machines with the Windows 8 compatibility logo, they will have to implement a measure called "Secure Boot." However, it is currently up for grabs whether this technology will live up to its name, or will instead earn the name Restricted Boot.

Junk_Lord

Regulars
Sep 18, 2011
I don't think windows loader like programs will stop working.All what will happen is that some new program like these will come that works.It is impossible that any software code has zero loopholes.

Sid

Sid
Regulars
Aug 18, 2009
BlackHole
There are programs which dont use the loader thingy to make ur OS genuine :pill: :Fireworks:Great loss for DAZ if loaders fail :p

solariiknight

Regular
Regulars
Nov 7, 2011
Nagercoil
Microsoft should provide the user options to load any program a user likes and not jail a computer to run only their OS! I have signed this statement sometime ago and hope that microsoft is forced not to involve in an anti-competitor way.I'm fully into GNU/Linux now and only go back to windows to play some good old games (too lazy to install wine :p )

aviral sangal

Senior
Dec 9, 2010
Noida
Actually they are planning to use UEFI as a replacement to default bios. when you install windows 8 on your system you need to have a UEFI otherwise windows wont boot up.Moreover if you tamper with bootloader and try to add linux with it you wont be able to run windows 8

Jaymin

A Big Fan of IBF
Regulars
Oct 18, 2010
I have Windows for similar reasons.....i have a calling software which i use for making calls to UK, and is specific in Windows. And of course few of my fav games. I still play RA2 sometimes, and get enjoyment by keeping the AI under my foot! :D