• Thread starter Thread starter ogtripleog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 2,223

ogtripleog

Regular
ISP
Dataone
guys.. you know that problem i was having with sify not working after 10 fifteen minutes - well that started again.. i have disabled heartbeat for my connection but still nothing worked..until - i pressed ctrl+alt+del and found a number of occurences of svchost.exe.. (about 4) now when i end a process called svchost.exe then the conneciton works fine.. what is this all about?i have adware and spybot installed.. they don't detect anything.. as well as nod32..it doesn't detect anything either.. does svchost.exe install with the dialer?

svchost.exe is a windows file... multiple existance is well windows fault. 🙂

i know it is a windows file but see my problem is my connection does NOT work for more than ten minutes unless i kill the svchost.exe file and then it can work without any probs the whole night 🙄

svchost.exe is a also a popular name that many worms/viruses take to hide themselves.

Here's what http://www.answersthatwork.com says--
To detect if you have a virus that calls itself SVCHOST, first see if its full path shows up in  The Ultimate Troubleshooter  as either C:\WinNT\System32\Svchost.exe or    C:\Windows\System32\Svchost.exe  – if it does not, then it is almost certain you have a virus.  Secondly, if you have Windows 95/98/ME rather than Win2000/XP/2003, then it is also almost certain you have a virus.  [/b]

Ultimate Troubleshooter is a proprietary software so don't bother about getting it. Just do a Search/Find for the file svchost.exe and note the path displayed.

Also consider getting a free, online virus-scan done from http://housecall.trendmicro.com to get a second opinion about the health of your computer.

oh i just installed nod32 and it found a virus that a *fully updated* norton missed 🙂 i was right.. the svchost.exe in my computer is a virus.. now what i am wondering is how come i got a virus in the first place as i am very careful about what i open on my computer 🙁 anyway thanks for the help..

Norton is not a good antivirus to use ... use Avast or AVG if you want something light, and Kaspersky for the best protection.If you are using Windows for the internet (you should not, as far as possible 😉 ) ... it is not too hard to get a virus. It is recommended to use Opera or Mozilla as browsers, and be careful of all files you download using p2p 😉

inmho AVG s*cks.. it lets a lot of viruses slip past. i've tried all antiviral programs and found that there is indeed no such thing as a free lunch.. so now i use nod32.. it' rulez.. and i liek the interface as welli've always used mozilla for browsing the internet..as for firewalls... i've never liked za, for some reason.. i use kerio and it is pretty good too.. for spyware i use spybot, spydoctor and adaware pro...i normally use linux for simple internet browsing but i have to keep windows on my system due to the fact that i play a lot of games and they don't work in linux.. also my pctv tv tuner doesn't work in linux as well.... i've tried everything to get it to work to no avail.. until all game developers go the way of doom3, which, i hear have included a linux install with the game, i'll have to have some form of windows on my machine..

You know, the other day I was in this Linux chat room and a regular there posted what an AV application he has on Linux (Bit-Defender Console or BDC) displayed to him.It had caught 3 viruses on his Linux system :lol: Seems with Linux gaining popularity virus writers have started targetting Linux too. Time to look for a Linux AV now 🙂

Linux viruses will be extremely hard (virtually impossible) to create, as linux uses file permissions in its file system. So if you are working as a normal user, neither you nor a program (virus) you run can affect the system files, though it may affect your home directory. Unless you run as root always, there isn't much to worry 😉If one still insists, there is Clam AV, BD, AVG and some others for linux ...

That's true. Much more rare and difficult to code a virus for a Linux system.But worms and trojans are still possible and can screw your net connection and maybe screw your home directory heh. So having a securely configured firewall and an AV app for Linux is recommended 🙂

U cant delete svchost !! It handles others services on win 2k/xp . U will ahve to replace it with unaffected evrsion . if u delet it many services wont run . U cant even resolve hostname on win 2k bcoz it is handled by svchost.exe in win2k and also xp has services trunning over it . Its multiple instances is normal .As it is important file thats why its a favourite place for viruses and trojans to hide . Replace it with unaffected ones . U may have in dllcache (but most trojans infect taht too) so best bet is other windows of same version or just look in ur install cd's . there will be svchost.dl_ i hope or anything svchost . jst rename it and replace it from dos or safemode (i prefer safemode with dos prompt)