Spyware with sify?

ujjwal

Regular
Linux viruses will be extremely hard (virtually impossible) to create, as linux uses file permissions in its file system. So if you are working as a normal user, neither you nor a program (virus) you run can affect the system files, though it may affect your home directory. Unless you run as root always, there isn't much to worry ;)If one still insists, there is Clam AV, BD, AVG and some others for linux ...

inetbum

Regulars
That's true. Much more rare and difficult to code a virus for a Linux system.But worms and trojans are still possible and can screw your net connection and maybe screw your home directory heh. So having a securely configured firewall and an AV app for Linux is recommended :)

power

supersupersuper...
U cant delete svchost !! It handles others services on win 2k/xp . U will ahve to replace it with unaffected evrsion . if u delet it many services wont run . U cant even resolve hostname on win 2k bcoz it is handled by svchost.exe in win2k and also xp has services trunning over it . Its multiple instances is normal .As it is important file thats why its a favourite place for viruses and trojans to hide . Replace it with unaffected ones . U may have in dllcache (but most trojans infect taht too) so best bet is other windows of same version or just look in ur install cd's . there will be svchost.dl_ i hope or anything svchost . jst rename it and replace it from dos or safemode (i prefer safemode with dos prompt)

gauravtyagi

now isnt that strange ... after reading this post i cancelled an extra svchost.exe in my task manager and suddenly the net opened and started working .... now i am downoading nod32 for virus scanning .... all this time we were blaming sify when there was a virus here ... after all the care that goes in maintaining online security a virus still comes...i use ZA ...though for some time i was not using any firewall....while i was typing this the net got discnnected again....only after virus scan can i be sure now.......

hey guys remeber to clear system restore files after u clear virii, bcoz those file culd hav been saved adn when u use system restore u wuld get them back, so just be carefull. :mellow:

ogtripleog

Regular
yeah that's what i had too. whenever i killed on of the two processes marked as network services.. my net would work fine :unsure:

gauravtyagi

This is what i experienced too ........ strabge .......... I am sure its not a virus ..... I did scans in Windows/dos .... dos with ntsc support .... everything.......no not a virus........maybe a bug