Solved: Split AC 1.5 ton | Voltas

ISP
Excitel
Airtel & Vi
My Sharp inverter AC has a bad leak in the cooling coil. So it's time to get a new one. Many users have mentioned that Voltas is a good buy considering the 5 years warranty. Kindly suggest some models?

Solution

Looks like they have changed the extended warranty thing. Now you need to pay 2990 for it, however you get 10 services as well (I think?) so still a good deal

my parents have used Samsung, LG, Daikin, Sharp, Hitachi split acs at different points of time. None of them lasted more than 4-5 years. I guess it might be area specific as well since the issue almost always was gas leakage

Voltas and Carrier have both worked fine
In the everything is a energy meter. Now a days single phase energy meters are also costing the same amount. Better go with a smart plug.

Upvote 0
It starts blowing warm air, and then suddenly realizes that the temperature has risen and th
All inverter based AC's do that as they are based on step-up, step down motor. So when it starts, it gradually increases power and cooling unlike non-inv which goes for Max Power consumption and hence quick cooling. The reverse happens when the set temps are reached. On sensing the same, the PCB will gradually decrease power(unlike non inv which justs shuts off)and consume only that much energy needed to maintain those temps.
Kind off Similar to how car consumes fuel in 5th gear versus 1st gear and hence better mileage with 5th gear.

Upvote 0
Yes yes, that's how it works. But don't hate me when I say that the Sharp inverter AC that I had pretty much nailed these seemless transitions and it also offered the option to limit operational wattage with a push of a button, what is being marketed nowadays as 'convertible, 5 in 1' technology.

All this on an eight year old AC. They have been far ahead in terms of technology, can't deny that.

Upvote 0
Which A/Cs have some kind of programmable or customizable system where "cooling" can be made LESS powerful through the night and especially in the Mornings.

I've always found feeling uncomfy in early mornings. I am sure the HEATING COOLING cycle of NATURE & CITY WARMING plays into it.

But are there not any new ACs that can do so? Some level of Timing based change of cooling? Or intelligent enough to maintain temp so that it does not get cold in A.M.

Upvote 0
most acs have a sleep mode that should be able to do it. Daikin calls this mode Kaimin on their models. though the model i recently got doesn't have it with the same branding but it does have a sleep mode that can increase temperature setting on the ac every hour for the set number of hours. my super old carrier does not have this feature. but it does have the regular timer to shut off ac after x number of hours. but most modern acs should have a sleep mode feature on them.

forget acs. modern fans can also do it. Atomberg fans have a similar feature which can slow down fan speed every hour through the night. i haven't really tried it though because well summers are so bad, fan is best run at peak speed through the night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Samsung has a really fancy AC which doesn’t have a conventional fan but lots of small holes from which it slowly disperses cold air. That is supposedly much better to sleep with. Although it’s quite expensive

Upvote 0
@Sushubh the sleep mode Kaimin was in Hitachi. It was one of the most loved feature on my prior ac. LG's 2 degree increase in temps within an hour seems so lame...😒

@Samuel the Japanese tech are way ahead of the tech we have or can produce. Hence the price difference. They really put in efforts in their up-down motor hence the seamless experience. Most peeps using Japanese Inv ac have also mentioned the same experience viz other brands.
It seems like they give us tech which is almost like a decade old.

@crashnburn_in the Kaimin feature in Hitachi models allow you to increase the temps upto 4 degrees, each within an hour, from the set temp.(level-1, Increase by 1 degree, level-2, increase by 2 degree and so on). I would set my temp at 26 and put it at level-2 so by morning it would be 28 degrees.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ah right. kaimin is on Hitachi. i never really used this feature because i am kind of a turn ac on, turn ac off kind of person through the night.

my Daikin doesn't seem to have a similar feature. there is auto turn off... and there are modes for quite and sensor. sensor mode is supposed to slow down cooling if the ac does not detect any movement from what i remember reading about it. seems stupid.

LJrVX0g.webp

my old ac just has the intelligent eye feature. though the new one i got for the lobby area seems to have the comfort airflow mode only. but they call it coanda mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've tested it when it was 42 degrees outside, and it managed to bring the room temperature down to 22 degrees. I increased the temperature shortly after.

As I've mentioned before, the temperature sensor seems a bit slow. When you're running the AC at temperatures above 27, it will throw warm air and suddenly realize that the temperature has increased significantly and goes crazy with the cooling. It can cause discomfort while sleeping. The best setting is 26 degrees.

One problem (imo) is with the vertical swing. I think it doesn't get low enough. When you turn the AC on, it will do a full swing, and it's capable to get pretty low, but it's programmed to stay higher in general. It pisses me off to the point that I manually adjust it to stay lower at times.

Besides that there's nothing worth mentioning. It's a basic AC that does what it's supposed to do. No complains about the cooling, it's pretty good. Time will tell how it holds up. If you want to know anything specific, let me know.

Price 500 rupaye badh gaya hai.

Source

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That suggests at 27 deg it is switching off compressor and once it reaches 28 compressor switches on and gradually shifts to full mode.
Here dual inverter AC comes handy which can go to as low as 1/3th or 1/4th of rated cooling capacity. Like LG 1.5T AC I saw on youtube was consuming 250-280W while my AC can only go at half cooling that is 400w then switches off compressor.

Upvote 1
@Samuel I think the problem with vertical swing is common across mid-tier ac's as is the case with my LG. Can go to the lowest position when started, but won't go that far when the ac starts its usual operation.
@igloo I got the first hand experience of what this dual inv is capable off. 27C @40% capacity or 28C @100% at nights, the power pulled at 5:20am in the morning is just 181W. I read your post about Marq ac shutting off compressor below 400W(still better than 1500W on non-inv ac). So started testing on mine and it did go below 350W as the temps reached the set one... after that it was pure power management.
Pretty surprised how far AC tech has come to this day.

Upvote 0
There is no AC tech in inverter AC. Inverter AC uses a variable frequency drive. As the name suggest vfd runs on variable speeds.

I am very sure the "inverter" hardware is same across low tier, mid tier or high end ACs. The difference is how they configure it. Then market the product at different price points.

Upvote 0