Speeds being throttled by major ISPs and bandwidth providers for smaller ISPs?

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 6,513
@Manoj Mathew if issue is at lco , then speed to india servers ( non peered) should be affected too , right ?
I don't think upstream providers sell bandwidth based on Domestic ( india) or international basis.
Also if its congestion issue, download speed should be near to plan speed at early morning or late night but this is not the case.
Speed to international servers is mostly consistently low even if you test at 4 a.m , atleast in my case it was.

Whats your speed on speedtest.xfinity.com @vishalrao

250 down and 2.8 up 😀

Also do check speeds on DataPacket servers from their public speedtest servers.
Select international server location.
They have peering with most of the Indian Telecos.

Yeah datapacket gives around 20 mbps single thread in amsterdam and dallas servers but full speeds with multithreaded downloads.

@Manoj Mathew if issue is at lco , then speed to india servers ( non peered) should be affected too , right ?
I don't think upstream providers sell bandwidth based on Domestic ( india) or international basis.
Also if its congestion issue, download speed should be near to plan speed at early morning or late night but this is not the case.
Speed to international servers is mostly consistently low even if you test at 4 a.m , atleast in my case it was.
Are they following same ISP path? Sometimes all domestic traffic is routed through NIXI.

Even otherwise, when congested, with various packets vying for limited pipe, maximum effect is on long route high latency paths. If on an ordinary link both local and international traffic reaches 10 mbps, when wire is damaged, effect on domestic traffic will not be as high as for international traffic (which will almost be unusable). This is because TTL will expire only for some domestic packets but for almost all international packets.

My problem was anyway at Microscan end.

Last edited:
Let me know which server to test the speed on. I can do that on airtel and see if its the same issue or not

Yeah datapacket gives around 20 mbps single thread in amsterdam and dallas servers but full speeds with multithreaded downloads.
Did you checked on usa ubuntu mirrors?

Yep same observation on ubuntu usa mirrors...

Absolutely insane speed throttle on Jio Fiber. Been checking for a week now and even on Ts with 30+ seed the speed is not more than 1.5-2 MBps! I am on their first month trial so 150 mbps plan. God level throttling. With airtel I got full speed on the same Ts, 4.5-5.5 MBps flat. Just look at the average speed ROFL. Sometimes it would stop downloading totally as it cannot reach to any seeds.

Pathetic!

I can confirm the same. In my city, ACT uses TATA as upstream provider. Single threaded results are horrible!

@JB701 I always download from that public tracker (when I prefer to not go pvt) and I always download those type of files which you call large. Try to comprehend something before commenting. I specifically said I got full speed with airtel for the exact same Ts. I deleted them and redownloding the same to check the speed of Jio Fiber. And the speed confirms towards extreme throttling.

Every single torrent of his (excluding the 100% completed one) has zero seeders. Wonder what sort of speed calculation can work in such a situation?

Same issue with airtel. If you do speedtest with single thread to international servers then the speed is 50-100 mbps and sometimes even 20-30 mbps on 200 mbps connection.