Speed test from international server

• Thread starter Thread starter suvam_2
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 2,691
ISP
Jio Fiber
Airtel users can you get your plan's full download speed from this server ? https://nrt.edge.kernel.org/centos/8-stream/isos/x86_64/CentOS-Stream-8-x86_64-20220423-dvd1.iso
Anyone who thinks the server has low bandwidth.
Speed test from Google Cloud. Some VPNs might also give full speed.
I4o6IExO9tto.png

@suvam_2 you can expect lower download speeds from international servers compared to local ones. Normally the further the geographic distance the worse your speeds get. That's the reason for server mirroring and separate geographic download locations to optimise speeds. Even VPN servers are mirrored locally to provide optimal performance. Just select the server mirror closest to you to increase download speeds.

@suvam_2 you can expect lower download speeds from international servers compared to local ones. Normally the further the geographic distance the worse your speeds get. That's the reason for server mirroring and separate geographic download locations to optimise speeds. Even VPN servers are mirrored locally to provide optimal performance. Just select the server mirror closest to you to increase download speeds.
That's true but as you can see with Airtel, he's getting at least 90% of the max speed, other service providers like Jio and Alliance Broadband don't even reach 50% of the max speed. They need the help of VPN to achieve it. I want to know are those providers only giving full speed to Indian network and peered networks ? Then why advertise it as Internet speed.

Tried the link, getting download speed around of 170-180 mbps on 200 mbps connection. Many times it touched 200 mpbs too.

Source

Thank you very much for your effort Sir. With my local providers and Jio I am not even getting 50% of the max speed while as you can see, with Google Cloud Shell, getting 500Mbps constant, so I wanted to confirm if the problem is with Indian providers, but as you showed with your Airtel, you are getting 90% of your max speed so now I am wondering are providers like Jio and Alliance Broadband capping their international bandwidth or not.

I tried downloading from that link a few mins back and it gives me errors. "Sorry, we cannot find your kernels" This is on an Airtel connection with a static IP without a VPN. Some ISPs are known to throttle speeds to certain sites to protect their networks. Also, internet speed is a loosely bandied about term. It can mean from one point ie your home to the nearest server not necessarily the server/site you want to connect to. And remember, these are home connections. You want guaranteed speeds uptimes, QOS and SLAs etc then leased lines are the only answer which are exponentially more expensive for the same line speed.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your effort Sir. With my local providers and Jio I am not even getting 50% of the max speed while as you can see, with Google Cloud Shell, getting 500Mbps constant, so I wanted to confirm if the problem is with Indian providers, but as you showed with your Airtel, you are getting 90% of your max speed so now I am wondering are providers like Jio and Alliance Broadband capping their international bandwidth or not.
"capping international bandwidth" no such thing exists, capping can be done by the ISP OR by the entity (person or the organization) that is hosting the server.

Not sure why you are not getting good speed on your Jio connection. I previously had Jio and it frequently used to max out at 150 Mbps (as per my plan) when downloading stuff, and never faced any throttling issue.

There could be an issue with how your traffic is getting routed to the destination server. Your max speed woud depend on the slowest link between the source and destination, but this should be a rare case , and unfortunately you can't do anything about it, because it's on ISP end.

I tried downloading from that link a few mins back and it gives me errors. "Sorry, we cannot find your kernels" This is on an Airtel connection with a static IP without a VPN. Some ISPs are known to throttle speeds to certain sites to protect their networks. Also, internet speed is a loosely bandied about term. It can mean from one point ie your home to the nearest server not necessarily the server/site you want to connect to. And remember, these are home connections. You want guaranteed speeds uptimes, QOS and SLAs etc then leased lines are the only answer which are exponentially more expensive for the same line speed.
https://nrt.edge.kernel.org/centos/8-stream/isos/x86_64/CentOS-Stream-8-x86_64-latest-dvd1.iso Please try this.

I want to know are those providers only giving full speed to Indian network and peered networks ? Then why advertise it as Internet speed.
Thats what happens when you have crappy regulators and ISPs not knowing the difference between intranet like infra vs internet. (this is how they can advertise a FUP plan as truly unlimited)
I have a gigabit plan on My ISP and every week it gets worse (currently my international download is around 150-300 down and 30 up).
Also peered networks doesn't mean you'll get advertised speeds either. Your local ISP nodes infra and their link to peer exchange also matters.