Spectra is no longer offering unlimited data on monthly plans (1gbps 500GB costs Rs. 1828 lol!)

• Thread starter Thread starter varunc24
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 4,686
lol. 500GB for Rs. 1830? no thanks.

Wow, that was quick. I hope I get to stay on the now legacy plan (ie at the time of next renewal, I had taken the quarterly option to get free installation) 😕

so the new monthly plans (at least for my area) are as following:

250mbps
100GB per month for Rs. 1061 per month
400GB per month for Rs. 6365 for six months (Rs. 1061 per month)

500mbps
250GB per month for Rs. 1474 per month
unlimited data per month for Rs. 8843 for six months (Rs. 1474 per month)
unlimited data per month for Rs. 17686 for 15 months (Rs. 1180 per month)

1gbps
500GB per month for Rs. 1828 per month
unlimited data per month for Rs. 10967 for six months (Rs. 1828 per month)
unlimited data per month for Rs. 21934 for 15 months (Rs. 1463 per month)

i shall remain on excitel.

how does anything change by charging for 3 6 months in one go? they are taking 3K (2K is refundable though i assume?) at the time of connection installation. so it's not like people would get connected. use it for one month. and then stop renewing! this would only happen if they know that their services are going to such so much that people would not renew after one month lol.

ohh well. the only thing that was making them stand out from their competitors was this 1gbps@no fup@low price. offering 500 gb on 1gbps is soo bad.

i mean seriously. if you are worried about network abuse, at least have bandwidth limits starting at 1TB per month.
most of the data people consume these days is from services that can be peered locally so data transfer cost is very low.

how does anything change by charging for 3 6 months in one go? they are taking 3K (2K is refundable though i assume?) at the time of connection installation. so it's not like people would get connected. use it for one month. and then stop renewing! this would only happen if they know that their services are going to such so much that people would not renew after one month lol.

Perhaps they are just structuring the plan in such a way that people tend to opt for longer duration plans thereby guaranteeing that they would be connected for that many months. Also they would get to raise immediate funds.

I myself opted for the 3 month plan, cause the installation was free and was planning to switch to the monthly plan after the 3 months got over, now I would definitely stick with the 3 month plan for how much ever time they allow me to.

most people have no need for 1gbs connectivity. they are launching services in my area where excitel is offering 50mbps unlimited for 820. how many people would be tempted to switch to spectra? i know folks in my sector who are still on airtel because they are paying even less money to airtel through a retention plan because their usage is minimal. they find excitel expensive for what they need the internet for!

it's likely that only a small percentage of consumers in a specific market would actually be in a position to abuse a gigabit connection for more than a few months. eventually one does get tired of needless downloading. most people going for high speed connectivity prefer it to access uhd content on netflix etc. on their super expensive 4K television sets. they are not aiming to abuse the network. have direct peering with youtube, netflix, Hotstar, Amazon and these customers would cost them very little even if they end up consuming terabytes of data on their connections.

Reactions: Smh
^ Spot on. I barely notice the difference between my previous Act 100 Mbps and the Spectra 1 Gbps connections other than in Speedtests and downloads which doesn't really matter other than during the initial phase.

Bare storage still costs around Rs 1000 - Rs 2000 per TB and eventually you would simply run out of storage 😛

There are others who might be tempted just because of the novelty of a 1 Gbps connection (my house mates for example 😛 [1 Gbps!!!! WoW!! 😱 let's take it]), Spectra could be targeting that segment of users as well.

my renewal is due 24 Jun and this gave me a heart attach. just called them and they said that your plan would be renewed as per the bill plan if you want to change then you should call before renewal and let us know. glad to know that it would be 1249+tax for me (6 monthly) else it was time to request for disconnection.

After chatting with their Customer Support, apparently this only effects new customers - they'll need to pay for 6 months in advance for Unlimited, they also mentioned that there will be a few more plans added in 10~15 days.
I'm not sure if this is trust worth information or not 😕 but honestly I'd be really disappointed if I get hit by a cap now.