Sony Xperia U

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 2,807
Had hands on Xperia U today evening. Sony is promoting the device at some here. Price 16.5K. Its a good device at this price point. Needless to say, mobile bravia engine is much more than just a gimmick and so is the xloud technology as they call it. Both display and audio quality- excellent at this price point. Camera quality is ok ok. Android GB works flawlessly on given hardware. 1GHz dual core with decent Mali 400 GPU is good deal. ICS will also work flawlessly I assume if Sony doesn't mess with it. Sony customizations are good enough and social network integration is much deeper than competition. Only letdown is very less internal memory and no card slot either.

I am waiting for a Xperia P to get released. Great design with aluminum unibody, great display with white magic tech which is being praised and from videos, I can see that it really works plus decent camera, other hardware components and much more.

----------

anyone bought this phone?

reviews online are bad and someone i know just bought it and i have been told that the call quality is horrible.

she is going to seek a replacement to see if the problem is specific to the unit given to her today.

From incidents like such, what I have learn is refrain from buying products from initial lots. One of my freind bought One V and phone stopped working from 3rd-4th day. Heard that the first lot of One V being dispatched to India is faulty with some units having display issues, some totally failing to work etc. Heard many similar cases irrespective of product and brands and one thing is common that all of them were early buyers. With product life-cycles shrinking, early adopters are being treated as beta testers by manufacturers.. :curl-lip:

I'm seriously becoming a Sony fan now!Let aside the massive 4.0+ inch displays this generation of decent sized Sola and U seem to be very innovative!I had a chance to get my hands on the U and it was a real impressive baby! Adding to what technoholic says, the display with BE @ 280 PPI was great. Audio quality too was fine. The fancy colour changing bottom panel according the colour on the display looks great actually. Easily the best buy @ 16.5kWaiting for Xperia Sola as well, which has the first "Floating Touch" display (3.7" 265 PPI). For people who never heard of it, yeah you can control the phone without touching the screen. Secondly it uses it as what people have tagged "Glove mode". If you've unlocked the phones with say gloves in hand, (floating over) its sensors stay active to the glove and you can scroll by hovering. Once you touch it though (with finger skin) the sensitivity to the glove drops and finger hovering works over. Interesting!Both phones are dual core at less than 20k price point which to me is great!

I admire companies with innovative and differentiating products/ features. Sony holds respectful place in the list! 🙂I hate Samsung for the same reasons. No. they dont even have best displays around anymore. About end products, the most recent SIII is disappointing on many parameters. They tried to differentiate on software side but no wow factor at all. Phone design sucks totally. Current lineup looks all same and what to say about touchwiz! In flat panel TVs, LG is much ahead in features and innovations. Similar is the story about many other products.@abhishekYa. saw the videos of Sola and its floating touch display! Nice feature indeed! Works impressively in browser. Also design of phone is good and liked the placement of notification light. I just hope battery to be good to last atleast for a day and half with moderate use.Sony is getting better and better in Android especially in mid range. Samsung really lack good mid range devices. Sony has a good track record of supporting older phones too- an importing thing in so fragmented ecosystem. They must have developed a very good fan base among android users. Xperia 2011 lineup was a great hit. Can see many Xperia Ray, Neo V and Arc in hands.

+1 However on the buyer's downside both the above phones come with pre-loaded memory of 8 GB out of which only 4 GB is accessible (normally). No Micro SD slot. So forget it if you have large music/video collection and you are looking for a primary phone. Also its still running GB! ?Might sound far fetched but both these devices could support upto Jellybean (Android 5.0) as a dual core 1 Ghz is being rumored to be the minimum benchmark for the next Android version coming Q4 this year.

If I am not wrong, Sola does have SD card slot. And Xperia U comes with USB OTG plus 50GB cloud storage by Sony free for lifetime. Both things can not be taken as full replacement for on device memory but still...Yes, those new dual core Xperias will surely get Jelly Bean if not officially.I dont think dual core is minimum requirement for that considering ICS can run on single core 600MHz. Whats more important is GPU and these new Sony phones have decent GPU- Mali 400. Its there in SII as well but Xperia U beats SII in some benchmarks! Must be because of some other factors like screen resolution, size etc but its a good thing and ensures longer lifecycle of product.

hopefully they are using a normal microsd inside as storage so that someone can open up the phone and replace it.

@TechnoholicThanks for the correction, Sola does have the Micro SD slot upto 32 GB so no issues there!For performance benchmarks they should score over Ray, being dual core..rest might be lesser/identical.For the records, Xperia Ray happens to be one of the highest rated devices out there today, to beat it in reviews would be difficult!

For performance benchmarks they should score over Ray, being dual core..rest might be lesser/identical.

For the records, Xperia Ray happens to be one of the highest rated devices out there today, to beat it in reviews would be difficult!

Sola has a Micro SD slot + 4GB Internal memory. It has a dual core, but it lacks two things: A Front cam and a 1GB RAM. It has only 512MB RAM, which is not 'ideal' for ICS. Otherwise the phone is a charm.

Ray has two major drawbacks. One, its sleekness which make it a very slippery customer. Second, no flash. It has a LED photo/video light instead which needs to be manually turned on while clicking.

The best of the lot will be Xperia P. It will have similar features as Motorola's Atrix 2 (priced at 21499 today). Xperia P is expected to retail at 24-25K. It will be launched in the month-end.

Bravia Engine is the most attractive thing in the phone and yeah a nice job they have done with UI.

I like this phone for some weird reason.

It looks gay in front of Note, but that is a completely different thing 😀

humm .. i didn't like the look of there new series... specially the like below screen looks wired for me