Sony might get out of TV and Smartphone segments

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 1,202
smartphones might be cut-throat segment but tvs? last time i checked, Sony tvs were a good 5k expensive than competitors and people agreed it was worth the extra price. dem bravia panels :/

it has been quite sometime i have seen people buying Sony devices over others. in the end sony relies on samsung and LG for the display panels. samsung and lg are the leaders in these fields. people are not idiots to fall for bravia engine and other branding nonsense and pay extra for them.

I've seen quite a number of people asking abt Sony the moment they enter the showroom but then back off once they find out that sony models costs a cool 5~6k more than LG or Panasonic LEDs.

Sony does use lot of bullshit brandings like bravia engine, triluminous display and what not. But they can sell off the trademarks and earn money like they did with VIAO

I am surprised too, at them moving out from TV business. I thought that was Sony's bread and butter.

So what is their key business currently from which they expect 25-fold jump in profits?

they should follow samsung's lead and focus on investing in r&d and manufacturing of components for consumer electronics. why waste money on developing your own devices when you could make money from components that comes loaded on all devices sold in the market!

I am surprised too, at them moving out from TV business. I thought that was Sony's bread and butter.

So what is their key business currently from which they expect 25-fold jump in profits?

1. developing camera sensors for Apple
2. they have successful insurance business
3. focusing on playstation 4
4. producing movies (sony entertainment ltd) they have spiderman and james bond franchises

ofcourse this would mean cutting a shit load of jobs to offset costs

When you are in spare parts business, you tend to lose brand value! Because people do not know that it is your part that they are using.

Also such business are highly dependent on your buyer company.

Apple can any day switch to other camera provider if they find cheaper one with same quality or better bargain. For eg. Apple is slowly slowly throwing out "Gorilla glass" which were once the only manufacturer. And may be other mobile manufacturer may do the same, killing Gorilla glass completely.

So Sony must stay in end-user business too instead of scrapping those business completely. Otherwise after 10-20 years. Noone will remember sony! (in electronics)

Sony and insurance!! Never heard! 🙂

Currently I have 32 inch Sony LCD TV bought during 2011 Cricket World Cup. My next TV would not be Sony I guess. I think I would go for LG next with 2K/4K screen 🙂

brand does not count for anything when it is being insulted on a daily basis by chinese companies. i mean chinese companies use sensors from Sony and other components from samsung etc. and sell better devices at much lower pricing. timing has gone where people bought sony (or even samsung) devices because they are sony (or samsung) devices 😀 at least in the smartphone market. tv maybe...

You are right to somewhat extent. I bought 2 XOLO phones in last 1 and half year! Happy with performance!

Actually Indian market has killed lots of big players. (Nokia and now Sony)

Indian people (we) want things very cheap! They dont really know technical stuff. If phone lasts for 2-3 years they are happy! Also advantage is that technology changes very fast and everyone feels their phone is outdated within 3-4 years. So better to buy cheap one instead of expensive one.

And Xolo / Micromax etc they have simply given them that!