Some Weird Problem....with LAN

rohin_mattoo

Regular
ISP
BSNL DataOne
Hi friends....I m facing a strange problem since some days...While my XP SP2 boots completely and system tray icons load (Start up files).1. nvidia tray icon2. avira antivirguard icon3. volume icon.These three applications load in no time...but my LAN Card (Local Area Connection) icon takes 30-45 sec to load and till thn my system doesnot responds. As soon its loads my system gets back to its regular speed. Wats Wrong here can anyone help...and even formated my Drive C: and reinstalled XP, but still facing the same problem...Waiting for some reply frm experts here in this forum..

Please check up start run msconfig start up list
Uncheck maximum programs. Nvidia : really needed at start up ?
I have been advised 1. to keep the Short cut icons in Desktop to the barest minimum. 2. Also in All programs delete programs you never use.
( anyway the programs you most often use can be pinned to the Start Menu)
3. Clear all Old System Restore files. (C:/ properties disk cleanup more) options.
4. Run disksweeper free 2 from Crave Worldwide - Essential stuff download free

Para two : I have only AVG/Volume control/ZoneAlarm at start up.
Other programs in Quick launch.

PS: I am not an expert ! only a contributor .

Well if the Anti-Virus after loading consumes all the resources of the CPU maybe for scanning startup objects? It would cause a major traffic jam of other applications that start after it has. Try and disable any such option and see if it speeds up.

It happens with me too many times . I had vmware installed and i think that was the culprit . When i disabled vmware services from auto start it worked perfectly and lan icon popped in quickly . I am not sure if this fixed my problem alone , i also had dhcp enabled on tata connection lancard but there is no dhcp server on their side ( pppoe ) so that also tried to get ip from dhcp and might have slowed down . I just gave it a random ip address instead of dhcp since it doesnt matter for a pppoe connection .

ya, im also getting this problem after installing vmware server!plus, i noticed the DNS client service (shown as a svchost.exe in task manager) hogs a lot of CPU time at startup for a few minutes, this happened after I put a HUGE (2mb) custom hosts file for blocking spam/ad websites 🙂replacing the hosts file with the original small one helps a bit.

Its definitely not an AntiVirus Issue here.............I am also facing same problems of slow appearance of LAN icon at startup on 2 of the systems in our office network.We tried uninstalling the AV but still the problem persists....................

At startup, in the Task Bar how many other programs appear before the LAN icon can show ?Mostly programs are loaded alphabetically, and I have to wait for ZoneAlarm to load, before I can surf!Now in my Task Bar only AVG/ZA/LS icon appear. Other programs I have listed in Quick Launch say IE FF YM etc Other often used programs in Start page( not classic style)Hope you will try. PS: Sorry. I have said the same thing on sept 26th Please ignore if it has not helped @moderator: How to delete the posting from the thread ? now or later ?