Some reasons why I switched from Sify to Mtnl

• Thread starter Thread starter popcorn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 6,920

popcorn

ISP
Some company Broadband 50mbps + Jio Airfiber 30mbps
I was using mtnl students account in 1996. It was text based internet and with a tweak of winsocks later in 1997 where you can use it in IE3 with win311. I used mtnl dialup till 2003 June. It was expensive as bills reached Rs. 5000 per month !! with speeds of just 33kbpsThen Sify came in my area. I got hooked broadband. (not realising what exactly broadband was). I thought internet connection with 24 hours without telephone bills is broadband. I got 32kbps for 800 rupees / month and was happy. That time Windows XP was in with say IE 5 . Sify was reasonable and affordable. I was happy and registered myself on IBF in 2005 as sifyfan.Gradually time passed and sify increased its rates. I had no choice but to stick with sify. But then came in the cable maintenance charges. Sify gave a useless antivirus called trend micro and later shifted to symantec which was better with free updates. The top reasons why I shifted to mtnl are:Sify still uses a login system which was used in 2003. If you are using linux they still give the webbased login. Thats obsolete technology.Their Windows XP dialer has a irritating popups and mandatory starting page of sify.Sify did not change when Vista was launched. They are not at all concern to update their login client for vista. Round the corner we see the Windows 7 coming. So they will not do anything for that too. They did not offer antivirus free to Vista Users. Hence its assumed that nothing is for Windows 7 users too. They have no support for Linux users and mac users.Sify has a unique problem of mac bindings. U cant use more than 1 pc at a time. If you fire their call center they wil max allow one more mac id. If you have multiple OS installed than that mac id protection is still a pain.Now coming to the plans.Their plans are the costly compared to others. The maintanence charges add the problems. The cable operater is the king when it comes to any problems. The day mtnl reduced prices in Mumbai I decided to go with mtnl. As Airtel is not in my area, Tata indicom also is not in my area, only option is to go with mtnl. This is my broadband story since 1996. I was sifyfan and now a mtnlfan (admin helped me to rename ).Sify will never change ! it will remain same as it was launched. No new plans. The higest plan is 256 unlimited plan for Rs. 899 + 150 as cable guy takes as line maintanance. Mtnl offers 512kbps at 999 + ST and best speeds and I can use as many computers I wish.Thanks to mtnl to give the independence day gift to Mumbai !

Hi guys,
as i have shifted to mtnl ... i was cleaing my desktop and came across sifylogin & logout html and thought it to share with you before deleting it.
Adminji as the code is short I have just pasted it here 🙂
The below code copy paste in notepad and save it as login.html

Login id :

Password :

Replace username with your sify username and password with sify password.
To activate web based login ... just call call center and tell them u have linux installed and ask them to activate web based login. scold them that u have tried all combinations and u want only this webbased login now or u r going to discontinue using sify.

To logout u have to type:
http://210.210.4.74:81/logoutconfirm.php

make shortcut in desktop with that logout url

Enjoy sify till you get better alternative !

December will be my last month with sify after which I'll shift to MTNL. ... after getting bugged by sify, irritated by pacenet (only in my current area) i switched over to MTNL, and having absolutely no troubles.......

I can say the most things about Reliance ! There login page sucks to the core.

Good luck to MTNL Users.I used Sify for 3-4 years and last year switched to MTNL.Just two months back I had to give up on my MTNL connection due to terrible service Problem :- My router never connected during night. And there customer care people doesn't know anything.Finally had to switch back to Sify again🙂inodding🙂.Sify doesn't care much about Customers and MTNL doesn't care about customer at all.MTNL is the worst service provider.

The Worst Part it is Pre-Paid.I Used Sify for more than a Year and i dont remember when the Local Franchisee dint heard a word from me any Week.Its Login Page Sux.The Wire SuxThe Local Team and Customer Care Sux.The Free after 10 PM and have to Relogin,Sux.The Rain Sux both Sify and Sify Users.:wall:Thank God i changed to Reliance other wise i was SuCked:wall: