• Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 1,948

amish

Star gazer
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai BB_600 @12mbps
I have ZERO knowledge on soldering but I wanted to learn soldering from years

I never had any reason to learn but now I have got a reason to learn it.

Basically I used wrong screw driver for opening my laptop and I stripped two screws. (They have gone completely round and wont open with any screw driver)

I saw one of the videos on youtube which uses soldering trick to open stripped screw.

As per video, I require:
1) Soldering gear
2) De-Soldering braid

So can anyone suggest me good soldering kit which I can buy online and has all of above?

On flipkart, I see one worth 299Rs .. easy electronics - 6 in 1.

It has 25W specification.. what is it?

Hope it would not be very risky on laptop screw.

I am trying to do it myself because the service center guy nearby asked me 1250Rs!!! 😀

Reference video to open stripped screw is: (hope it wont be tough)

Source

All you need is a soldering iron and soldering wire. I simply use a blade to clean the surface or to remove any solder if needed. i use one from MetroQ 30w. Get one with a pointed tip instead of flat.

Upvote 0
Goto any watch shop around your house. He would open it up for you for 10 bucks. Also see how soldering works first hand.

Upvote 0
Watch shop people have soldering irons and have experience in opening up tiny screws in watches. Laptop screws are much larger in size.

Upvote 0
But I doubt they would have expertise in opening stripped screw

My screw is almost like this.

stripped.jpg

Upvote 0
@amish I have never used gloves or anything ever .. just bare hands 🙂
wattage basically decides how hot it gets and which type of solder it can melt.
BalRama 25 Watts - 230 Volts High Quality Pencil Pointed Tip Soldering Iron for Mobile, Cell Phon, LCD, Electronic Gadget Repairing Tool + Inbuilt Led Light Watt 25 W Soldering Iron Price in India - Buy BalRama 25 Watts - 230 Volts High Quality Pencil Pointed Tip Soldering Iron for Mobile, Cell Phon, LCD, Electronic Gadget Repairing Tool + Inbuilt Led Light Watt 25 W Soldering Iron online at Flipkart.com
try this one- its the cheapest i could find . it has a pointed tip(pencil point). get soldering wire from any hardware/electrical shop nearby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
@amish for this you don't really need any good soldering iron. Just buy the cheapest or better yet borrow from someone if you can.

I would say take @Sushubh 's advice and go to your local watch shop or electronic / hardware store and they can do it for almost free.
Go and tell them what you did and why you want them to open, if they say they don't know how to show them the video.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot @kickass

Can you help me chose one of these two?

What is difference between flat and spade tip?

This one says - Flat tip

ALPHA 6in1 soldering kit 25 W Soldering Iron Price in India - Buy ALPHA 6in1 soldering kit 25 W Soldering Iron online at Flipkart.com

This one says - Spade tip

Easy Electronics 6 in 1 Kit 25 W Soldering Iron Price in India - Buy Easy Electronics 6 in 1 Kit 25 W Soldering Iron online at Flipkart.com

Pictures of both look exactly same and from same seller.

Cost is same too.

No warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
@demonicult sorry just noticed your message.

As I said - I already had interest in learning how to solder.

This could be right time.

Ofcourse I am taking bit of risk by attempting it on Laptop.

But I think soldering is not tough as it looks. So might try as well try it.

PS: has anyone here actually tried removing stripped screw using soldering trick?

Upvote 0
I am also trying to learn soldering and I find this video series quite informative

Source

PS: It is not related to removing/opening a stripped screw but gives a lot of information about basic soldering process.

Cheers!!

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot @kickass

Can you help me chose one of these two?

What is difference between flat and spade tip?

This one says - Flat tip

ALPHA 6in1 soldering kit 25 W Soldering Iron Price in India - Buy ALPHA 6in1 soldering kit 25 W Soldering Iron online at Flipkart.com

This one says - Spade tip

Easy Electronics 6 in 1 Kit 25 W Soldering Iron Price in India - Buy Easy Electronics 6 in 1 Kit 25 W Soldering Iron online at Flipkart.com

Pictures of both look exactly same and from same seller.

Cost is same too.

No warranty.

Thanks in advance.
Both of them are flat bit not pointed. so its difficult to place a single dot at times.
Btw the video you posted is not complicated. he is just sticking a piece of metal to the screw to act as a lever to turn the screw slowly. You should be able to do it with a few tries. if the metal breaks touch the soldering iron n melt the solder n scrap it off and try again 🙂

Upvote 0
@amish

As much as I like your sentiment about finding a reason to learn how to solder, the video shows little to no learning of soldering required. Frankly, you will learn almost nothing.

All I am saying is if you are just trying to learn to solder and not doing actual soldering tasks any cheapo soldering iron should do the job. Don't invest into good stuff now as they are good and heat up quickly and nicely giving little to no room to understand what happened if something goes wrong quickly.

The cheap ones bad in a way as they take time to heat up and aren't that hot (comparatively) but gets the basic job done for basic soldering jobs like wires, small boards, LED strips etc

Even though you will end up investing twice I would highly suggest to get the feel of cheap iron first to know what you can do with a soldering iron. Then when you really need to do need a good one get a decent one to being your journey in electronics.

Well thats my suggestion as most times people don't need soldering unless they actively seek to use it for something. So if this is what you are beginning with the decent-good ones would end up staying with you unused.

Upvote 0