So, how cold is it at your place?

• Thread starter Thread starter sTrOnTiaBOnd
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 137
  • Views Views 21,981
Right 😀No idea why Swype autocorrected it to 'type'.

if you want to see extreme weather delhi is a good place. it can reach as low as 1-2 C in winters and as high as 45-48C in summers.

umm that is actually the temperature measured by the met department, in residential localities it never drops that low, the lowest that i have recorded is 6.4 C in central delhi about 5 yrs back, couple of days ago the min dropped to 6.5

umm that is actually the temperature measured by the met department, in residential localities it never drops that low, the lowest that i have recorded is 6.4 C in central delhi about 5 yrs back, couple of days ago the min dropped to 6.5

WHAT? We recorded 1.5 when I was studying Chemistry (Hons) at DU. That was 4 years back. MET, btw, has multiple measuring places. There is one in Safdarjung, one in Palam, one at IGI, one in North Campus etc.

London has central warming in all houses and still is only believed to be 2 degrees warmer than the countryside.

Are you even using a certfied thermometer?

have u ever put a "certified" thermo outside your house and measured the temperature? try doing it and lemme know.I am using a weather station with certified accuracy of +/- 5 % for humidity with calibrationand +/- 2F accuracy for temperature

Go through my last comment again. I studied Chemistry (Hons) for three years. We measured temperatures all the time! For that matter, there are thermometers stuck outside every lab. We even had thermometers stuck outside the residential unit at college.

Edit:

I am using a weather station with certified accuracy of +/- 5 % for humidity with calibration
and +/- 2F accuracy for temperature

Those digital weather stations? They often tell incorrect temperatures if you don't mount them properly. I hope you place it on the roof elevated by a few metres and not in your garden or in the balcony.

@Cyberwiz,U shud not be arguing with temperatures that are recorded using Chemistry lab apparatus! 😀

Those digital weather stations? They often tell incorrect temperatures if you don't mount them properly. I hope you place it on the roof elevated by a few metres and not in your garden or in the balcony.

That is a presumption, have you ever used a weather station station? Even the simple (cheap chinese) temperature monitors available in the market are not off by 4-5 degrees and yes its elevated and properly placed.

@Cyberwiz,

U shud not be arguing with temperatures that are recorded using Chemistry lab apparatus! 😀

Umm, i am not saying that temperature recorded by lab apparatus is incorrect or that the temperature recorded by met dept is wrong, just that in residential areas it doesn't drop that low which is what i have seen over the years using different recording equipment in multiple localities in delhi. If you look at the met dept recording sites, they are located in open and green areas.

And temperature recording is not really rocket-science, something exclusive to chemistry hons students to be done with chemistry lab apparatus, this is weather we are talking about not chemistry !

That is a presumption, have you ever used a weather station station? Even the simple (cheap chinese) temperature monitors available in the market are not off by 4-5 degrees and yes its elevated and properly placed.

Temperature at an open field at Palam and in a residential block 2kms from it will not vary by as much as 4 degrees. So if the MET department recorded a temperature of 2 degrees and your apparatus records a temperature of 6, there is something wrong with the way you are taking temperature. Even in residential blocks in western countries (which are centrally heated), at best there is a rise in 2 degrees when one moves from the countryside to the residential blocks.

I have looked at a weather station. I have never used it. That is why I asked if it is the digital one? Weather stations are known to give errors in measurement of temperatures. You put yours up on a sunny day and the sensor may overheat resulting in temperature variation. And you do realise that an error of +- 2 degrees is sufficient to change your minimum temperature recording from 6.5 to 4.5, bringing it within the accepted range of +- 2 degrees vis-a-vis MET recording.

Temperature recording IS rocket-science. Things which appear as minor as asphalt, cell towers etc affect it.

Perhaps if you can post a photo of your weather station, I can tell you if it is placed all right? If you think you don't need my advice, can you still post a pic so that I can see how a weather station looks like perched on an Indian roof?

@rodeo....... Few days back at hindon airforce temperature was. 0.6 degrees that was not even recorded in Delhi........... It was 4.5 or something 🙄 how can that be...............? Airforce thermometer damaged? 😛Doesn't mean it was same in main ghaziabad, there is surely good difference in temperature in outer open areas and main residential ones. You took 2 km away example to suit what you are saying............ Think about other poster, he may be living in non open conjusted area....... Just like myself, where even traffic is higher. @cyberwiz........ I. Understand what you are saying 🙂

@Toocool - @cyberwiz made a generic statement - not pertaining to his own case alone. I do realize that in specific cases, the temperature may be much higher.Hindon Airport, btw, is a decent distance away from Ghaziabad Main and has the influence of Hindon river flowing near it. As distance increases, surely the temperature will also change. But if MET records 2 degrees at Polo Grounds in North Campus, be assured even a locality 3-4 kms away from it will in no case record 6 or 7 degrees. At best, 3 degrees, or for a centrally heated locality, 4.My argument was about a genric classifcation of residential temperature as opposed to MET observtions, and about inaccuracies in temperatures measured individually from within those residential complexes. I thought being an Illuminati fan you would be smart enough to understand that bit of my point. 🙂