SNR Margin & Line Attenuation Rate - What does your stats mean.

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 78
  • Views Views 26,524
@InkTone , My plan was 10mbps and now I changed to 20 mbps. But the speed was not increased. Today I raise a complaint in my exchange, the guy told me that if the speed is increased, you will get frequent disconnect, since the exchange is too far.
Any how he increased the speed, I have to check and update the status to exchange.
If frequent disconnect, then they will reduce the speed to 10 mbps.

@Kalyan_1980 what the exchange person told is right when speed increases the SNR changes. a lower SNR gives an instable connection if you are far from exchange.since you are having a big variation in SNR values as you mentioned ask the line man to check your line.

Hi @InkTone, i have checked the speed in my connection. They have increased to 12mbps.

Internet Connection
DSL Status Connected
Downstream Data Rate 12797 kbps
Upstream Data Rate 636 kbps
Max Att Downstream Rate 18704 kbps
Max Att Upstream Rate 1177 kbps
SNR (Downstream) 14.95 dB
SNR (Upstream) 22.0 dB
Line Attentuation(Downstream) 22.0 dB
Line Attentuation(Upstream) 13.0 dB

is your SNR stable?
if yes then i think your line can withstand some more increase in speed about 15 mbps.
the recommended SNR value is 10 and above by BSNL

@Kalyan_1980 14+ is fine you can increase a couple of more mbps till SNR reaches 10. like you said, check for a few more days and see how your present SNR behaves then change if you wish. check SNR during evening time .i noticed that its during that time the SNR drops low.

Hi @InkTone , today evening my SNR was very low . Now i am getting 10mbps only. I think its hard to increase to 14 mbps. 🙁

SNR (Downstream)5.50 dB

hmm. better you keep the line rate as it is. but if possible please check your line. i dont understand why such a big variation happens. for me the values changes to -2 or 3 dB only from normal. or check with a new modem and splitter to see if there is change in SNR values.

@Kalyan_1980

@Kalyan_1980 an old modem can show a low SNR margin. i am having the same issue. if you can get a modem from your friend and check how SNR behaves. if youare friends with the line man in your area then he can help you by placing a test modem to check your SNR.
There are many factors that affect SNR a faulty or old modem, the modem adapter, spliter, even the drop wire, rusty joins, phone pair coming from exchange to your home, port you are on. many many factors.

By the what is your Attenuation rate ??

22 means you are near to exchange. is it right? so your SNR should go high. please check your modem and your line i think if issues with either of them is corrected you can get a higher more stable SNR margin.

My house is 2 km from exchange, is it near. The exchange guy told that you are far from exchange to get 20mbps speed. I will check my line and update.

Last edited:
@Kalyan_1980 2 km is not that far. that is why you have a better Attentuation rate. make your exchange line man understand about it and check all possible problems i mentioned before. check for any noise in line, earth or leakage in the pair , your dropwire in home and finally test with a temporary modem to finalise if you need to get a new modem or not.

My broadband speed is low for the last 1 month. Only getting about 3mbps. I am using combo 650 plan having 8mbps speed. Earlier I easily get about 10mbps. Contacted local exchange they cant do anything from there. Local exchange is only 1.5km maximum away. Below is my adsl status,
Up Stream 364 kbps
Down Stream 4356 kbps
Attenuation Down Stream 50
Attenuation Up Stream 46
SNR Margin Down Stream 6.6
SNR Margin Up Stream 6.5

Can anyone find out the problem