SNR Margin & Line Attenuation Rate - What does your stats mean.

Kalyan_1980

Regulars
Regulars
My Attentuation rate:

Line Attentuation(Downstream)22.0 dB
Line Attentuation(Upstream)13.0 dB

InkTone

Regulars
22 means you are near to exchange. is it right? so your SNR should go high. please check your modem and your line i think if issues with either of them is corrected you can get a higher more stable SNR margin.

Kalyan_1980

Regulars
Regulars
My house is 2 km from exchange, is it near. The exchange guy told that you are far from exchange to get 20mbps speed. I will check my line and update.

Last edited:

InkTone

Regulars
@Kalyan_1980 2 km is not that far. that is why you have a better Attentuation rate. make your exchange line man understand about it and check all possible problems i mentioned before. check for any noise in line, earth or leakage in the pair , your dropwire in home and finally test with a temporary modem to finalise if you need to get a new modem or not.

ansaf

My broadband speed is low for the last 1 month. Only getting about 3mbps. I am using combo 650 plan having 8mbps speed. Earlier I easily get about 10mbps. Contacted local exchange they cant do anything from there. Local exchange is only 1.5km maximum away. Below is my adsl status,
Up Stream 364 kbps
Down Stream 4356 kbps
Attenuation Down Stream 50
Attenuation Up Stream 46
SNR Margin Down Stream 6.6
SNR Margin Up Stream 6.5

Can anyone find out the problem

InkTone

Regulars
@ansaf can you say what is the attainable rate value on modem statistics page.
one more, you said the exchange is 1.5 km from your premise but your attenuation is way higher than that.50 attenuation means the exchange is approx: 3.5 km away.

ansaf

@ansaf can you say what is the attainable rate value on modem statistics page.
one more, you said the exchange is 1.5 km from your premise but your attenuation is way higher than that.50 attenuation means the exchange is approx: 3.5 km away.
No sir, the exchange is maximum 1.5km or can 2 km. But there are about 3 joints in the bsnl round cable which is coming to my home. Is this the problem. I am sharing my adsl status.

InkTone

Regulars
@ansaf
Bro, while posting this screenshot were you geeting 4+ mbps speed?

now attenuation ,SNR, download speed rate all are related.
when attenuation is lower value it shows the user is close to the exchange so SNR value will go high , higher SNR value will give more speed.

so before 1 month how was your attenuation rate. was it the same or a different value. attenuation can increase because of problem with line. if you are 2km from exchange (now that does not mean cable is 2km long they can increase due to the path it takes underground) then attenuation should have been below 35dB.

if possible ask them to check your line and see if there is any fault like noise or leakage or rusting in vertical or anything like that.
hope it helps you. and good luck