• Thread starter Thread starter vebk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 4,294

vebk

Mr. Advocate
ISP
Airtel 8 Mbps 'Unlimited'
If I buy the Sony Ericsson M600i and want to use the following features, what all do I need (in terms of software, and also in terms of Hutch)?

[*]Browsing the internet (mainly googling things).
[*]Using Google Calendar.
[*]Using Instant Messenger (any).
[*]Accessing my e-mail (Yahoo or Gmail or both).
[/list]

Apparently, if u want it for internet, then it has a major failing - no EDGE support. ( http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_m600-1425.php )
so unless u r covered by 3G, you'll only ever experience around 3-4 kBytes/sec max

well, you should go for a symbian fone for your needs. Java apps on SE platform arent that intuitive, and these is no proper Instant messenger available on SE /Java platform. Even browser support like Opera is not good. Symbian is the way to go..6681/6680 will be good..or the N-series

Thanks. But that doesn't answer my question. I am not asking whether I should get a Symbian OS or not, but rather after I have got such a phone what do I have to do? What software do I need to download (if any) for the above uses, and what do I need to get done form Hutch's side?

Apparently M600 is symbian,well i must say opera mini is quite good for browsing in non smartphones..I seriously recommend u to try opera mini before coming to a decision (and also netfront browser on new se's)There are also IM+ like instant messengers based on j2me..Having said this,Im not telling you to get a non-symbian.It entirely depends on you...If u get a non-smartphone,make sure u get one with multitasking java VM..

1. call hutch, ask to activate gprs (or send a special sms as mentioned in your SIM-card manual).2. then you recv an sms with settings, can be automatically applied, or manually configured.3. then use opera mini or any browser... (or IM or email-app, etc)

If I was to get gprs, then how much would the following be in terms of kb downloaded:
[*]Having some instant messenger (AOL/ MSN/ Yahoo) on all the time.
[*]Checking mail on gmail / yahoo.
[*]Checking something like the weather.
[/list]Just approximates would be good!

I use Yahoo Messenger on GPRS through IM PLus .But in Hutch (Mumbai) , IM Plus doesnt work whereas it works on my connection (MTNL) . HUtch has blocked connections other than simple browsing in their GPRS access point proxy i think. But strangely , the Yahoo!GO app wich is preinstalled in Nokia Symbian Phones seems to work on Hutch for Yahoo Chat . But IM Plus is very much better and even Agile Messenger.1 hour of yahoo chatting comes to around 60-80 KB , approx. But its difficult to predict as it depends on whom you chat with, how he writes etc... Just kepeing logged on wil consume less data..say around 20KB.Also AGile Messenger and Verichat consume less data than IM Plus.

Thanks! Basically I won't be chatting all the time on it - It just seems to be a nice alternative to sending SMSes back and forth. So basically I am wondering if I leave the messenger app on and connected, how many kb would it download (that is when it is idle) (per hour or per day - - whatever).oh, and what speeds can one realistically expect from Hutch EDGE?

Reduced rental does not give you unlimited data...bad if IT dept is good (I.e. checks App versions and pushes updates frequently) 😉

😛unlimited usage for around 1100 sounded pretty nice to me. is it right?

see dude..as I said...there is no real way to predict that...I ll give you an exampleThe transfers in idle mode depend on how often your contacts change their status..Nowadays many of my friends use the Now Playing plugin to display their currently playing song, so data usage is more in idle mode too, as Yahoo server sens updated status more often. So it depends on how and what your contacts do when they are online and you are idle. And from what I have seen of this EDGE thing, there is no real speed improvement when you are moving , but when you are stattionary, the speeds are substantially more.But doesnt matter for IM usage, the normal 4-6 KBps of GPRS too is enough