• Thread starter Thread starter x720
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 5,962

x720

Incoherent Poster
ISP
airtel, BSNL, MTNL
Need to buy one for Grandad. Currently he is using a Nokia X2.

Moto E2 and Redmi 2 are possible options. Any more ideas?

I'm a bit inclined towards Moto E because they've exchange offer running. Will get 1000 off

Note 4G and turn on Lite Mode. I assume Redmi has the same.

This is how it looks like. It is fantastic for folks who do not need advance features.

mFtyfpu.jpg

Upvote 0
Note is out of budget. Primarily because while he himself has expressed willingness to upgrade, I might end up buying another feature phone if things don't work out.

Upvote 0
i have not use the Redmi 2 so not sure about it. but lite mode appears to be a miui feature and it does make the phone super friendly for novice users. i am not using it for mom as it kind of hide non-essential apps behind a button named apps (or something like that) but if my dad agrees to replacing his feature phone, i would probably get a xiaomi and turn on lite mode for him.

and it also eats up less ram so might work well on the 1GB edition of redmi 1. @kanagadeepan of course might have a better idea!

of course, feature phones are feature phones... though cheaper ones from Nokia are quite awful these days. the nokia 130 i bought is horrible. so get something better!

Upvote 0
mostly. but small things confusing people. for example... miui dialer requires you to slide up to pick the call. whatsapp requires you to do slide to right(?)? my mom does not understand the difference between the two calls and that confuse her massively.

same thing did happen with miui. the phone came with an older build that used slide to right or left to open the phone. after the update, it became slide up. even though the UI has indicators telling you how to do it (something like moving arrows)... novice people do not get it.

Upvote 0
If it matters, I have found Redmi note to be a bit heavy for my taste and unless large screen is a necessity. I have read that lenovo note K3 is 35gms lighter than the Redmi Note though I have not personally used it I think that looks like the right weight.

Further, for older people with limited app use I think Windows phones are best and you will find decent alternatives in your budget.

Upvote 0
I find WP UI to be complicated. I guess it takes getting used to, like everything else.

But, the build quality of the cheaper Lumias doesn't seem too good.

Upvote 0
yup. the ui is not confusing as such. but coming from android, it feels just too complicated. recently i spent time 15 minutes trying to teach an uncle how to add contacts on his newly purchased windows phone device and i had to google for every freaking thing.

Upvote 0
and do not even start on arranging the icons on the homescreen. i cannot do it on my computer. forget a mobile screen! 99% of my launches on W8/W10 are by typing the app name after pressing the Window key. Windows Phone just drives me crazy with icons stuck to each other. Of course, it might not feel so much confusing after using it for a week or so. But I decided against buying one for mom because I did not want to end up in a situation where I had to learn more about it!

Upvote 0
I still stand by my opinion.

I still think WP is more intuitive than Android and things just work but it lacks the plethora of apps that android provide.

Full Disclosure: I started using Windows 8 before I started using Android or WP and I started using Android and WP almost at the same time and I found WP more intuitive.

Reactions: SVK
Upvote 0
@x720 you are right.. If camera NOT an issue, Moto E is a very good choice. It has the inferior most specs, yet the UI is smoothest in that budget..

If you prefer higher resolution display and decent cameraS then Redmi2, Honor Holly, A6000+, Canvas Express2 and even YUphoria (if u can get)...

If you prefer bigger display then RedmiNote_4G, A7000.. Go for these if the person loves to explore new things

If budget is strictly 5k, then again Moto E, Honor Bee, Android One...

Too many choices.. All the best ji..

Upvote 0