• Thread starter Thread starter x720
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 5,965

x720

Incoherent Poster
ISP
airtel, BSNL, MTNL
Need to buy one for Grandad. Currently he is using a Nokia X2.

Moto E2 and Redmi 2 are possible options. Any more ideas?

I'm a bit inclined towards Moto E because they've exchange offer running. Will get 1000 off

I will try and tell you as and when I remember what I have been approached for

I was approached asking how do I install a browser in it. Android has an app with browser written under it. This person could not spot or recognise the "e" which is in very small tile as the browser.

Upvote 0
Right. I guess more people associate Chrome icon with Internet than Internet Explorer icon these days.

Upvote 0
Correct. But even chrome is not installed by default. But the default one has browser written underneath and many a time its smack on homepage. Win got the getting on homepage part right, but had a small tile, meaning no words saying internet or browser.

You could ask if person wasn't smart to swipe and scroll and find internet explorer - but that's my whole point. Its those users who will find it difficult.

Techies or regular computer users will figure out the intricacies of the device irrespective of the os sooner or later.

The question is which is easier to adopt for the others

Upvote 0
Its only for first time, person would look for browser, call log, sms (or Calculator, clock/alarms) features on any new phone. After that if person is very much dumb he will always keep searching for these apps.
Going by logic of small tile on home screen, even on my Android One phone, by default, there were some 4 icons + app drawer icon. Of those 4 icons, 1 might be chrome icon, and unless I had not used Google Chrome on PC, I would not have understood thats icon for browser. Similarly if person has used (Windows XP/7/8 ) PC, he can immediately recognize "e" tile is for Internet Explorer (=browser) 🙂

But whole point is not about explaining or debating which OS is better, its about usability for older people, I still maintain my stand that Windows Phone might be easier for older people to use more easily compared to (Stock) Android phone.

Upvote 0