Slow speed problem on Reliance Jio Fiber wireless router

• Thread starter Thread starter Shubham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 34,060
No seriously what is up with 2.4 GHz band? The speed difference between 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz is frustrating.

The problems would sustain till the time Jio allows change of Channels and Width. You might be surrounded by too many 2.4ghz routers. I have the same router and for me the speed difference is negligible. If i am near the router, i get the same speeds as 5gHz. The difference between both the modes would be just 1-2 sec delay in ping. Even at the farthest location (5 rooms away), i am able to get 50-65mbps on 2.4ghz

@yougotmehere To bypass that issue I connected Mi 3C router to my Jio ONT and disabled 2.4 GHz on Jio. I didn't see any drastic improvement there too. I don't have many Wifi networks around me either. Hardly 3 or 4.

People overstate interference as a reason. In places like Noida there are literally 20-30 wifi network cramped in a small area. I never seen any speed drop on 2.4 GHz band due to that

@yougotmehere I even disabled the 2.4 GHz frequency on Jio router and attached Mi 3C router yet the results were same so I don't think this is a device issue.

Moreover, I contacted Jio customer care regarding this issue and according to them if you are getting around 20 Mbps on the speed test. It is a healthy connection.

@Shubham Then how could it be an issue with the Jio device? As you stated yourself, even with another wireless AP you are not getting good speeds on the 2.4 Ghz band, mostly pointing to some sort of interference.

@varkey That's what I said, it is not a device issue. I don't know what it is. I don't think it's interference either. There are hardly 4-5 wifi connections around me. And I live in an independent house its not even like an apartment like situation.

@Shubham do you have a cordless landline telephone in your house too? Try switching it off and see if it makes any difference?

@Shubham You need to connect to your jio router via lan cable and do a speedtest instead of connecting another wifi router to ascertain that whether the issue is indeed your wifi or the connection from jio itself.

@Shubham You need to connect to your jio router via lan cable and do a speedtest instead of connecting another wifi router to ascertain that whether the issue is indeed your wifi or the connection from jio itself.

No that isn't required because the 5 GHz band gives speed test results of around 90-95 Mbps consistently.

@Shubham do you have a cordless landline telephone in your house too? Try switching it off and see if it makes any difference?

I do have a cordless in the house but sometimes in 2.4 GHz band itself, I get 60 Mbps speeds. The issue is it is very erratic in nature sometimes it's fine most of the times its around 15-20 Mbps. I just cannot understand the reason behind it.

I just cannot understand the reason behind it.

As mentioned before in this thread, it is mostly interference from other 2.4 ghz devices. Your cordless phone is enough. Even the "only" 4-5 devices you mentioned is enough to interfere with your speeds with differing amounts at different times.