Slow speed problem on Reliance Jio GigaFiber wireless router

Shubham

[OP]
Regulars
Jun 17, 2018
@krish80 I haven't tried it via LAN. I have never done a LAN Connection speed test, so I wouldn't know if it is different or not.

krish80

Jun 5, 2019
Thanks @Shubham for the inputs. I am seeing that the speeds are capped to 75 Mbps as it doesnt cross that limit on LAN connections. Same doesnt apply on Mobile 5 Ghz connections and from yesterday onwards speedtest.com is selecting auto selecting Bangalore servers where as it was Chennai servers till now.

yougotmehere

Regulars
Nov 14, 2013
Ludhiana / Gurgaon
this laptop thing is very weird.

5Ghz network on laptop 8 Mbps on speedtest
5Ghz netwrok on mobile 95+ Mbps on speedtest.

Edit: I think I found a solution to this issue. This all started when I switched the order of preference of joining wifi networks on my MacBook Air. I had moved 5 GHz band over 2.4 GHz band preferring 5 GHz and the speed fell. Now I have switched it back i.e. 2.4 GHz will get preference, it is back to full speeds on 5 GHz band. WEIRD.
I have the same preference mode on my iMac running Mojave and i never had any issues. I always connect to 5Ghz and speeds range b/w 95-110Mbps on downloads. On 2.4Ghz the speeds range between 75-50Mbps depending upon the proximity range.

nitinmits

Regulars
May 13, 2016
@Shubham Getting sometimes 10 mbps or 50 mbps on 2.4 Ghz is not an issue, its a fact....In real world scenario it cant handle more that 50 mbps data.....2.4 Ghz gets lots of interferences....
I get good speeds on 2.4 Ghz also on BSNL FTTH

Shubham

[OP]
Regulars
Jun 17, 2018
Is there any way to disable just the 2.4 GHz band on Jio ONT and use Mi 3C router instead? I have a theory that a dedicated router would provide better speeds.

5GHz should remain unaffected though.

krish80

Jun 5, 2019
I guess you can disable 2.4 ghz SSID from Myjio app

rajendra_1903

Jun 11, 2019
Is there any way to disable just the 2.4 GHz band on Jio ONT and use Mi 3C router instead? I have a theory that a dedicated router would provide better speeds.
There are actually 6 Access Points (3 for 2.4GHz, 3 for 5GHz).
You can disable/enable & edit them in Router administration page.

And for using Mi 3C as secondary router, you can just disable DHCP in Mi-Router & connect it to Jio router (Use LAN cable for higher speed)

bigdataseeder

Jun 11, 2019
i too had the jio gigafiber connection installed recently and got baited into this trap. the sales guy sold it as the same plan, but now after seeing very low speeds on the single band router i.e around 25-27 mbps i am thinking of getting the 4500 plan. can someone explain why the LAN speed remains unaffected though, my LAN speeds is in the range of 97-98 mbps. should it be affected too?

yougotmehere

Regulars
Nov 14, 2013
Ludhiana / Gurgaon
Its the same plan of 100mbps and thats why you get the full bandwith on the Lan. Your speeds are capped because of the inability of 2.4Ghz router. Wifi Capability is limited due to numerous reasons (Blind Walls, Distance, Radio Interference etc) It's nothing to do with Jio but mostly all 2.4Ghz routers would perform the same. You might need to tweak some router settings (Channel, Width etc) to be able to see if any improvement happens.