Slow speed problem on Reliance Jio Fiber wireless router

• Thread starter Thread starter Shubham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 34,018
Another thing I have observed with Jio fiber is that it seems allergic to many Indian banks like ICICI, HDFC etc. Many times it does not show their website, if you manage to login there have been many occasions when especially during payment transactions it does not go through. It's happened to me many times in the last 8 months 😠😡. Like it happened again today. Never had this problem with MTNL broadband which I used from it's inception till 2017.

I'm facing a similar issue as the OP, but I'm using Hathway (now owned by Jio).

Around June my old Wifi router conked off and I decided to get the TP-Link Archer C6. Everything was working fine and dandy in the morning. I was getting full 50 Mbps on both bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). However some time after 6 PM, the speed started to slow down and settled to 8-10 Mbps on both bands, including the LAN connection to my desktop!

Disconnecting the router and directly plugging the modem got the speed back to 50 Mbps again! But connecting through the router dropped it to 10 Mbps! Then, around midnight, the speed went back to 50 Mbps again, on both Wifi and LAN while being connected to the router.

Initially, I thought it was a router issue and decided to get a replacement, however even the replacement had the same problem, which led me to claim a refund. A couple of days back I got the D-Link DIR 825, but I'm experiencing the same issue on this router too.

I'm pretty sure now that this is definitely not a router issue, nor is it an issue with my desktop or mobile. That just leaves Hathway as the culprit! Any ideas on why or how they might be doing this?

Sounds like a duplex mismatch issue between your ISP switch and your router ....that's why the router sometimes negotiate a 10 Mbps link and after reconnection it gets 100mbps link giving you full speed ..... contact ISP and ask them to put your connection on another port of the switch that is a common fix ....

Till July month, I usually got 92 to 95 Mbps download and upload speed on speedtest.net both on 5Ghz WiFi and LAN but from August month specially since last week I got maximum speed around 60 to 70 Mbps download and upload. I used many different servers but same result. One of my favourite server on speedtest.net is "Anjani Broadband solutions Pvt Ltd." from which I always get high download and upload speeds (92 to 95 Mbps down/up) but now it's also showing upto 60 to 65 Mbps. Pings are nice 16ms. Jitter is 0-2ms.
So is it speedtest.net servers issue due to higher loads or Jio servers issue or issue in my optical fiber cable? Guys you also got this issue? Please you also do a speedtest.net on Anjani broadband server on 5Ghz WiFi or by LAN and share speed results.

Last edited:
I too hava the issue of speed over wifi 5.0
Earlier on first commissioning, i was getting a speed of 90 to 95 Mbps with my mobile with wifi 802.11a/b/g/n. I get a link speed of 150 Mbps with my mobile. Now since 2 weeks, i get a speeds between 40 to 60 Mbps, as tested at different days and times.

I raised the issue with the local jio technical team, who checked with their mobile and the speeds were aroind 90 Mbps. Link speed with their mobile was 650 Mbps. To confirm the observation, I used my higher end mobile with link speed of 650 Mbps and I got the download/ upload speeds of aroung 90 Mbps, just like with their mobiles.

With above observations, i draw the conclusion as below. Earlier, they were NOT throtling the speeds for lower end mobiles like my mobile. Now they may be throttling for mobiles whose wifi is not 802.11 ac or ax.

If you have a different observation, please share. Such throttling on wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n might have been resorted as it may not affect the performance on such mobiles.

I too hava the issue of speed over wifi 5.0
Earlier on first commissioning, i was getting a speed of 90 to 95 Mbps with my mobile with wifi 802.11a/b/g/n. I get a link speed of 150 Mbps with my mobile. Now since 2 weeks, i get a speeds between 40 to 60 Mbps, as tested at different days and times.

I raised the issue with the local jio technical team, who checked with their mobile and the speeds were aroind 90 Mbps. Link speed with their mobile was 650 Mbps. To confirm the observation, I used my higher end mobile with link speed of 650 Mbps and I got the download/ upload speeds of aroung 90 Mbps, just like with their mobiles.

With above observations, i draw the conclusion as below. Earlier, they were NOT throtling the speeds for lower end mobiles like my mobile. Now they may be throttling for mobiles whose wifi is not 802.11 ac or ax.

If you have a different observation, please share. Such throttling on wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n might have been resorted as it may not affect the performance on such mobiles.
I have also checked by Mi A1 which have b/g/n/ac and have 400+ link speed on 5Ghz wifi. So your theory is wrong. Anybody have any suggestion? Is there any issue with local Jio server.

They are not throttling speeds on your slow mobile. The problem is the slow mobile working on 2.4 GHz. I too have a mobile which connects on 2.4 GHz and maxes out at 40 mbps. At the same time my iPad and another mobile having the 5 GHz chip draws out 95 mbps from jio on the same Speedtest servers.

Please do not spread half baked information especially when you have no idea what you are talking about.

It's pretty simple: Speeds will be low on 2.5ghz and will be higher on 5ghz. Even on my laptop I don't hit more than 50 mbps on 2.4ghz, but hit about 95-98 on 5ghz. 2.4 will help in areas which are away from the router. 5ghz is for area close to the router.

Till July month, I usually got 92 to 95 Mbps download and upload speed on speedtest.net both on 5Ghz WiFi and LAN but from August month specially since last week I got maximum speed around 60 to 70 Mbps download and upload. I used many different servers but same result. One of my favourite server on speedtest.net is "Anjani Broadband solutions Pvt Ltd." from which I always get high download and upload speeds (92 to 95 Mbps down/up) but now it's also showing upto 60 to 65 Mbps. Pings are nice 16ms. Jitter is 0-2ms.
So is it speedtest.net servers issue due to higher loads or Jio servers issue or issue in my optical fiber cable? Guys you also got this issue? Please you also do a speedtest.net on Anjani broadband server on 5Ghz WiFi or by LAN and share speed results.
I have also checked by Mi A1 which have b/g/n/ac and have 400+ link speed on 5Ghz wifi. So your theory is wrong. Anybody have any suggestion? Is there any issue with local Jio server.
Would it be right to request Jio technicians to change my dedicated LAN/Fibre port on their side of OLT in local exchange? Any chances that the problem may be solve? May be there is some issue on that particular port of their OLT?

A real pity that the Jio Fiber WiFi router does not support guest logins. Plus when u use MAC filters there is no option for giving a device a name, we can add only the Mac address. I wish they update the firmware to bring in these features.🙄

Last edited: