Slow Slow Airtel

• Thread starter Thread starter vebk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 8,551
yeah that happens. 😉 what i suggest is to start downloading something. hide that download window. tell him to check the speeds. he wont notice that ur already downloading something and he would see that the speeds are not what u should be getting and he would try to get it sorted from the backend.it happened with me. i had a torrent downlaoding, he came he just started checking the speed from the airtel site. i tried telling him abt the torrent, but he wont listen. so i let him do his stuff. the speeds from teh airtel servers were of course bad, and he called the tech departmetn cursing them of issues in the backend 😉

heh, that's one way I guess - But did your problem get solved? Did you end up getting better speeds than "upto 256 kbps" ?

well the idiots had me on 128k pack when i was paying for 256k pack. and this was like that for around 3 months. 😱

That happened to me this morning. I had complained abt intermittent disconnections last night. A guy showed up in the morning, checked the cables n splitter n all. I had a torrent running on µtorrent but he disconnected the cable once and put it back in again while he was checking them out. So by the time the torrent picked up speed again, he had already done the speed test but still the speed dropped to 75kbps. Maybe next time 😛

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Apr 22 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]48891[/snapback]
yeah that happens. 😉 what i suggest is to start downloading something. hide that download window. tell him to check the speeds. he wont notice that ur already downloading something and he would see that the speeds are not what u should be getting and he would try to get it sorted from the backend.
[/b]

hehe, nice one. something i want to try next time a problem/engineer comes up 🙂 but they seem to be, from their end, capable of "seeing" what kind of speeds a user is getting, somehow. i called the CC up once about my speed problems, and was told to go to download.com, and dl two files at the same time. told CC the combined speed was still low, so she put me on hold, and after making me listen to some promo music for 30-45 seconds, came back and said, "yes sir, i checked from the backend people, and they too are saying you're getting only 10k/s. we will send an engineer over."

assuming the same maneuvres (from my side, of running and hiding a download; from theirs, of looking into my speeds) are done, it'll mean being caught with pants down.

but would be good to try 🙂

oh I'm sure they can "see" more than just what speed you are getting!!

best thing would be to setup a shaper on your own computer. I am primarily a linux user and its very simple to setup a shaper. So if the network engineer comes over I can show him that I am getting low speeds. Since they dont understand much of linux, they will have to raise my speeds at the backend. Remember, with a shaper you throttle down your speeds which these guys wont be able to see. They will see the same low speeds that you see on your desktop 😉

Hmm, this guy is getting an avg "upto" of 256kbs if you avg over a day.. and he is paying for a 256k connection.I wonder how long this dbl speed at night thing was supposed to last anyway.

ahhh.... that's an interesting observation... I wonder if it is more than a coincidence... 🤔

lolz. but even i'm not facing any speed problems 🙂 i'm getting around 11-16 during the day and 25above at night

In Bangalore - I am getting a max of 25KBps regardless of the time of day or night. But there is another problem of variability of speed. Speed varies between 40-280kbps in a see-saw curve with frequency of 5-7 secs. Tired of explaining it to countless engineers. Have told airtel that I will not pay till they sort my problem.

Let us know how that works out... I think it's a pretty common (if not universal) problem with Airtel....

hey there guys.. i hav been usin airtel for 2 months now... n hav experienced most of d problems that u guys r facin... i will try to provide a few solutions acc. to my experiences.... first of all... i am residin in central delhi ..so i cant assure that my observations n solutions will work for other regions also...1. since i waz gettin lower speeds... so i spoke to higher authorities in airtel n this is what they hav told me... there will be a line drop of aroun 20-25% durin d day as well as night ... so durin day u should get aroun 22-25 KBps (i.e. 75% of 256 kbps) n durin night it should be aroun 45-48 KBps ( 75% of 512 kbps) .. they have accepted d fact that these losses are there.. n thats why they r providin 512 kbps at night to compensate for the low speeds.2. if u r usin a usb modem... then switch to the LAN one.. thats my personal experience ... after the switch over there are far more disconnections... consistent speed n lesser troubles ... 3. if u r facin slow speeds only for torrent downloads... then may be u r firewalled or ports are not gettin forwarded over the router...solution for firewall: go to firewall n add ur torrent client to the exceptions list( xp sp2 only)solution for ports: call ur isp n tell him that u want certain ports forwarded... for eg 50000 to 60000 cos these are best for torrent downloads.. If ur ports are forwarded then also u r facin this problem then try disconnectin ur modem for 5 mins.. give it some rest n in the meantime restart ur pc.. may be u will get lucky when u restart ur pc ( i do get lucky mostly) for bitcomet users.. one way to find out whether ports are getin forwarded is : Check whether there are any " remote" peers in the list.. if there are not then ports are not gettin forwarded.n yeah.. use bitcomet torrent client as its teh most popular one n at the same time the best...use massdownloader for regular downloads its also the best.(its capable of pullin all the network bandwidth available)sorry for such a long mail... but wanted to share my experiences as i hav had a very rough time tacklin all of the above probs n done wan others to go thru d same ..