Slow internet speeds issue with ACT Fibernet

• Thread starter Thread starter Jay
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 19,924

Jay

ISP
Airtel FTTH
Update May 2017 - Haven't faced any problems since October 2016.

6261524582.png

6261522192.png

screenshot_fast_com_2017_05_01_11_01_47.png

------------------------
Original post dated Feb 2016:

This is a continuation to my previous thread titled YouTube streaming/downloads is throttled on Act Broadband

5065794023.png
5065796831.png
5065799553.png

These are the speeds I'm getting during peak hours (6pm-12am) for quite a while. Speeds to the local servers are not affected at all(or they've tweaked it somehow to show max speed). Even though the actual speeds are showing as 4-12 Mbps, the connectivity is almost nil. Not able to stream a thing.

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

The local technicians say it is a backend issue, while the cc says everything is clear at their end. I've had my ticket closed and reopened atleast a couple of times. Frustrating.

And ACT please don't bother asking for my Customer ID here, this is not an isolated issue as you can see, so either fix it or be transparent about what the problem is and how long it will take for the fix.

Last edited:
Hi,

We regret the inconvenience caused. Please share your Customer ID or registered contact number and we will get back to you.

Warm Regards,
ACT Fibernet

From : YouTube streaming/downloads is throttled on Act Broadband

@Jay I am getting more than 80 Mbps to Singapore, Seoul and Tokyo but only 10 Mbps to Bangalore. Looks like the link between Bangalore and the international gateway at Chennai is messed up. I have no issues with YouTube or Netflix. Both stream in HD after that initial couple of seconds of buffering. I am sure the ACT NOC must be aware of the issue.

Thanks! So just Bangalore then. Such a shame since the network is usually flawless when it works. For the past few months the service has been crappy and has caused me to downgrade to a lower plan.

I'd appreciate a headsup from ACT when such things occur rather than them trying to blame it on each other or pretending that there is no disruption. The cc even had the audacity to suggest that as long as it's showing 100/100 to the ACT local server they can't be held responsible or that there is no issue with the network.

This is an interesting read :-

Source

It appears that ACT leases bandwidth from either BSNL or Reliance to send traffic to gateways at Chennai, Mumbai and Cochin. These gateways are primarily owned by Tata and Airtel. So if the dispute is with Tata or Airtel, even Chennai would have shitty speeds to Singapore. This will get resolved only after ACT pays BSNL's bill.

Very helpful information, thanks. If they bug me with payment calls without rectifying this, I'm going to ditch ACT and switch over to Airtel. I've been a loyal ACT subscriber of their highest plans for almost 5 years now but a stable connection is far important to me than gimmicks like higher speeds or FUP limit.

Taken care of. Hope this is not a temporary fix like last time.

Also, in an ideal world, they should compensate the data usage to to speedtest.net servers for the entire past week, which I'm sure is a couple of dozen GBs.

5423586544.png

5423580779.png

5423591635.png

5423596090.png

Act Bangalore server:
5423583196.png

Speeds are likely to come back to normal after midnight like usual but if the same thing happens tomorrow as well, then I'm done.

Last edited:
Thats pathetic. I don't have this problem but I do have a problem with imgur site not loading. Imgur images themselves load fine on other sites like reddit but browsing imgur gallery on their main site is horrible. I've reached out to both ACT and imgur and they both say everything is peaches at their end and blame the other party

btw use fast.com to get real world speed tests. Speedtest by ookla is not accurate test since all major companies have dedicated lines to their servers

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please share your Customer ID or registered contact number and we will get back to you.

Warm Regards,
ACT Fibernet

Sigh.

5522849825.png

5522855454.png

These are just speedtest.net speeds. I'm literally getting less than 190kbps actual. This page barely loads.

No point calling up cc. The NOC is throttling on purpose and speeds will go back to normal at 12:30.
Documenting here for posterity.

Add:

LnzbNtf.png

Last edited:
Thats pathetic. I don't have this problem but I do have a problem with imgur site not loading. Imgur images themselves load fine on other sites like reddit but browsing imgur gallery on their main site is horrible. I've reached out to both ACT and imgur and they both say everything is peaches at their end and blame the other party

Hey! I had a similar issue with imgur images (not the main site). I fixed it by forcing https:// on all imgur links. Perhaps give it a try?