Slow internet speed on Airtel V-Fiber Broadband connecting to servers outside my city

60Mbps sync rate is very much possible and isn't that much of an issue here, his other parameters are well within acceptable limits. Airtel sets 40Mbps customers to ~60Mbps line rate. The thing with V/ADSL is the sync rate which is the line rate must be higher than the actual speed you are setup for on your plan or else you will get slower speeds.
Obviously the line rate must be higher, but in the screenshot the actual speed is being displayed. I have the same router, thus I can confirm that it is displaying speed, line rate is displayed on another page. And also the engineer who set up my connection, showed me their National Configuration Portal and the line rate is set to 46000 Max for all cities having the 40 Mbps plan.
I am gonna threaten to disconnect now to get the ports fixed. Does UPnp enable torrent speeds? Or I can leave it disabled?

Request them to change over the modem to something other than the beetel one, they provide Huawei and D-Link modems as well. When the slow down occurs is it time specific? Is it when the connection is under heavy load?
Also, you get the same slowing down on all devices? are they all wifi or do you have something hooked to the modem wired as well?

Also could you please run - Line quality test packet loss and latency | DSLReports, ISP Information

My IP address is not pingable. I've checked my firewall settings ICMPv4 is set to allow. I've searched Beetel 777VR1 router for any settings, but I don't find any such settings. Any ideas how to enable ICMP in Beetel 777VR1?

Thanks a lot @manojrk I can now use your tests to prove my point to the local service engineers the next time they visit me.

What they say is "This is how the internet works. Speed is not constant everywhere. It varies from user to user". ???

I don't know which area you live in and if we're allowed to share such information here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously the line rate must be higher, but in the screenshot the actual speed is being displayed. I have the same router, thus I can confirm that it is displaying speed, line rate is displayed on another page. And also the engineer who set up my connection, showed me their National Configuration Portal and the line rate is set to 46000 Max for all cities having the 40 Mbps plan.
I am gonna threaten to disconnect now to get the ports fixed. Does UPnp enable torrent speeds? Or I can leave it disabled?

Sorry, just so that we are on the same page... which screenshot are you talking about? The one on page one that says "DSL Configuration"?

Also, if the line rate as per this "National Config Portal" was max 46000 for 40Mbps customers then how is manjork's speed tests above for a 40Mbps customer showing 49Mbps download?

Upnp is a temp port forward, it should open the ports required, however it doesn't always work as intended, the proper way would be to port forward in the modem manually or DMZ a particular IP.

Thanks @Karan for mentioning DMZ. I completely forgot to setup DMZ on this modem. I had set DMZ on my previous Beetel 777VR1 modem, which is now replaced by another Beetel 777VR1.

Setting DMZ to my PC's internal IP address worked for me.

lQJLCvw.png

I performed the DLS Reports test and results are here.

Please do remember for your safety, DMZ opens all ports and forwards all data to that one device. Make sure you have a good software firewall or security suite on it.

The line quality overall is good but shows hop 3 from your end to be dropping a lot of packets, however in all my test the same hop 3 albeit with a different IP does the same too, Airtel maybe deliberatly does this.

Yeah! I've pretty secure configuration. But users who don't know about firewall & security etc should be careful with it.

If hop 3 (with different IP address) is dropping packets from your side too then are you facing any such issues or is this normal?

I'm also expecting a reply from @manojrk if he can perform the same DSL Reports Line Quality test and post the results here.

Hop 3 for quite a while has been like this with airtel, has no bearing on overall connectivity as of such. When a tracert is done hop 3 will mostly time out

Guys, any suggestions how I can make local service engineers understand the issue?

I've asked (read it as threatened) for disconnection multiple times but everytime a new person from airtel's retention department or customer experience team calls me the next day and requests me for a last chance to resolve the issue. When the service engineer comes, he opens speedtest.net and performs speed test (which defaults to Chennai's server) and shows me that my internet is working fine and calls customer care to close the complain.

When I tell them to perform the test from multiple locations, he states that this is how they're told to check speed test. In case, if I force him, he opens up youtube.com and downloads some large random video and displays the internet speed. In the new tab, he opens Apple's website and downloads iTunes Setup to confirm that the speeds are proper.

I've told the service engineer multiple times that these huge corporations have CDNs all around the world, one of which is in Chennai (or nearest Bangalore), which is why the speeds are proper. He doesn't seem to get my issue that "Far the server from my city, slower the speeds are for me". This is exactly what my issue is in short.

Can you guys suggest something that I can tell them or customer care so that they understand the issue. Don't know if they're doing this wantedly but sometimes I highly doubt their literacy.

Answer to this might also someday help users facing similar issue.

This sounds like a back end issue. What about your neighbours, are they experiencing the same thing? From your posts it doesn't seem like you've talked to a backend engineer yet. Please try and do that,

You can call them and ask to talk to someone from the NOC or even a callback from an engineer from the local NOC.

@anon_airtel_user Same as others have already suggested. Only the backend engineer can solve the speed issue. Contacting them is not an easy task so you must request the Appellate Authority to arrange a call back.

This sounds like a back end issue. What about your neighbours, are they experiencing the same thing? From your posts it doesn't seem like you've talked to a backend engineer yet. Please try and do that,

You can call them and ask to talk to someone from the NOC or even a callback from an engineer from the local NOC.

No my neighbours are not experiencing any such issues.

I've a few points that I think might be related to the problem I'm facing currently.

1. I'm currently getting 75% discount and ₹300 off for three months (₹0 bill every month). If I remember correctly, this issue started right after I called customer care in the first week of January 2017 to upgrade my old plan (₹1099 75GB/8Mbps) to new plan (₹1099 90GB/8Mbps) while retaining (my first discount in my 7 years history of my airtel connection) the discount of ₹100, which I got from airtel in the month of September in 2016. I'm not sure but airtel might be placing customers with discounts on a different route.

I just want to ask are you here are getting discounts from airtel? If yes, from how long and do you face any problem like me after getting discount?

Also, a friend of mine, who is on 8Mbps ADSL, is getting similar discounts like me (less 75%, ₹300 but for 6 months) and also facing the exact same problem like mine. This has something to do with discounts?

2. My landline number and DSL ID are different. Airtel's local service engineer told me that all the new subscribers get DSL ID's different from their landline number. In my office, we have airtel connection from past 7-8 years which has same landline number and DSL ID. We don't face any issues there.

EDIT: In our office, we neither get any discounts nor we've ever requested for any discounts. Also, our office is in different area 1-2KMs from my home.

A year ago, I moved to Banglore in search of job but returned back 2 months later. When I reactivated my airtel connection, I got a new DSL ID but the same landline number. Do you have the same DSL ID and landline number?

Expecting answers from all the airtel users; especially from @manojrk since he's in Chennai and on the same V-Fiber not facing any such issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here are a few tidbits from my side:

1. Discounts = Shoddy serice, errr, not really, just a coincidence. The only reason they gave you a discount on service was for customer retention, then why would one deliberately ruin the users service more?

2. This has been the case for a while now, my initial DSL connection with airtel from 2006 had the same DSL ID as Tel. No. When I moved after that in 2011, I had to order a fresh connection, I got a seprate DSL ID from my Tel. No., same goes even with my FTTH connection, my DSL ID(yes I do have one) is different from my Tel. No.

If you don't ask for something, you won't get it, especially discounts for what you are paying. You want your office connection to cost less, call and tell them it cost too much, they will within reasonable rights offer some disount for the same.

Please don't link a cheaper bill with shoddy service, it just simply isn't the case. The internet would be flooded with customers complaints if it were.