slow browsing sluggish speeds in bombay

• Thread starter Thread starter jango
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 8,367
Originally posted by Tushar@Jul 22 2005, 07:23 AM
What speeds are you'll get on the 256kbps pack?
[snapback]17718[/snapback]
[/quote]

Some hard facts (i dunno if this is being experienced by others) about the new 256Kbps connection:

1. Your browsing speeds are not at all 256kbps it varies from 40 to 128....if you are lucky you may get more.

2. Single downloads are not recommended but multiple downloads are quiet surprisingly giving me combined 36KB......thats just over 256kbps. This was also told to me by the sify guy, who said the connection works for multiple downloads. Rather vague but it works.

I also confirmed this using Flashget, when u increase the splits for a particular file the speeds cross beyond 256~32KB.

3. as usual night download/browsing speeds are faster.

4 on testing the connection download/upload speeds are not at all good.
I consistently get more upload speeds than downloads.

5 Bit Comet works gr8 (at default settings), I do get over 25KB in the night and thats the only torrent thingy working at my end. No matter what all tweaks(port changing blah blah blah) u try for other torrent apps but they still sit there idle.

yeah, BitComet works wonderful if u leave the D/U limits at "No Limit"...but with Sify u can't afford as they include ur uploads into the usage as well...during the free usage time, that's good though... 🙂and yeah, did i tell u that my downloads reach around 32 kBps (as much i'm supposed to get) and uploads around 50-65 kBps, when i use those default settings 😀

I stay at New Bombay my problem is strange .From past 2 days after 12 mid night i am unable to ping my gateway,suddenly my DU meter goes crazy and starts showing 1 MBps download speeds but im not able to connect to internet as i cant ping my gateway and to make thing worst i have taken 256kbps night plan last night itself :angry: Though everything is fine during morning 😱 .Dunno whats wrong

same problem here........after 12.00pm i m not able to pingthen in the morning it comes back to normal....i live in banagalore

wat did u do .did u complain to cust care. since when u havin the problem

If you're losing pings to your gateway catch hold of your CTO/franchisee's collar and tell them to repair the LAN (a bit harsh but i feel like doing it everytime lol). The point is your LAN is at fault and the responsibility for repairing it lies with those imbecile CTOs/franchisees.

suddenly my DU meter goes crazy and starts showing 1 MBps download speeds but im not able to connect to internet as i cant ping my gateway[/b]

That is because once your connection to the internet goes down, DU meter starts showing the speed of the LAN and hence 1 Mbps 😉.

but y i start losing pings at gateway after 12 am only :angry: .when im goin to use my night pack :angry:

I must say my CTO has improved so much over past 6-7 months.......i hardly had 5-6 hours of downtime on 2 occasions over last 8-9 months.....

I have had 2 CTOs in the past 6 months and faced 30-50 % downtime on both. Seems CTOs are %^^&## here in these parts.

it's always been called that only here, my dear friend!!! :lol:and Neo/avinds, it's seems the CTO is saving his electricity bill and shutting down everything before going off to sleep... 😛

no such prob here.its only tht they switch off thier phones after 6pm and if the there is any prob after 6pm then wait for next morning.

Originally posted by Suraj@Jul 22 2005, 07:32 PM
Some hard facts (i dunno if this is being experienced by others) about the new 256Kbps connection:

1. Your browsing speeds are not at all 256kbps it varies from 40 to 128....if you are lucky you may get more.

2. Single downloads are not recommended but multiple downloads are quiet surprisingly giving me combined 36KB......thats just over 256kbps. This was also told to me by the sify guy, who said the connection works for multiple downloads. Rather vague but it works.

I also confirmed this using Flashget, when u increase the splits for a particular file the speeds cross beyond 256~32KB.

3. as usual night download/browsing speeds are faster.

4 on testing the connection download/upload speeds are not at all good.
I consistently get more upload speeds than downloads.

5 Bit Comet works gr8 (at default settings), I do get over 25KB in the  night and thats the only torrent thingy working at my end. No matter what all tweaks(port changing blah blah blah) u try for other torrent apps but they still sit there idle.
[snapback]17824[/snapback]
[/quote]

ahh ! thanks for the post. you just confimred some of my thoughts on the speeds. i face the exact same problems as above. it gives good speeds on multiple downloads and yeah Bit Comet is the only good client but the problem is most the trackers dont detect it 🙁

Damn first of all the CTos must be suspended and new ones should be appointed who is alert in all situations. I dont know what qualifications do they keep for engineer. An engineer from sify came to my house doing something or the other he told me that my pc has spywares,Virus thats why iam getting slow speeds. That damn engineer took my telephone contacting someone and asking them what is the problem. Are they engineers strange!. atlast he told me contact sify