Slow Browsing on 1mbps Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter 03Idlewild
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 3,526

03Idlewild

ISP
AIRTEL-512
Hello,I have an Airtel 1mbps connection in Gurgoan and have the 450BXI ADLS2 Router. My download and torrent speeds are perfect however browsing has become very slow. Its sporadic in performance and at times even websites like Google and Facebook time out. I am on a Mac and I did read here about DNS however not sure how to fix it.

its problem at airtel backendping their dns servers and u ll c huge packet loss i recommend u to use open dns servers208.67.222.222208.67.220.220

This might be related to this thread.I've recently changed my dns servers to the opendns server. Made the change on the router, so that way all PC's acquiring a DHCP-assigned IP will use the same DNS.Now, when I ping, say, Google, with the Airtel DNS servers, the response time is 14-15 ms for me (standard ping with no flags).With the OpenDNSs, when I ping Google, the roundtrip time is about 150ms on an average. Yet pages load faster with the OpenDNSs.I'm looking for an explanation as to why this happens. Anyone know? Or are they 2 un-related things?

DNS will just resolve name to IP (i.e. google.com to abc.def.ghi.xyz). Then your browser will request that IP for the actual page. These are unrelated usually, you could try seeing which IP is being pinged with each DNS servers because with geo-location based DNS servers you might be getting a different IP after DNS resolution.

i dont think smartcache has anything to do with the speed , cause thats ONLY for sites which go down.. i guess as mentioned by kreacher , its the ip which is given by DNS which makes the difference..