Skype Updates

Hi guys, I've downloaded Skype for Linux and Windows both. Now, I want to configure / use it but I need to know a few things. Which ports need to be opened / forwarded from my router. Also, as I understand we can use different codecs for lower bandwidth usage. I have a 64Kbps which works more like a 32-56Kbps connection. So I wanted to install a codec which uses only 16-32Kbps bandwidth. Is it possible with skype? where do i get this codec? If not then which software should I use? I need it to be compatible with Linux.

Skype uses iLBC codec by default which consumes very less bandwidth..ie 30kbps.Also in Linux/Windoze you dont need any special configuration/port opening to use Skype. If at all there is a problem, there is an option to choose a port in the settings for the incoming connections.(i saw it in the Linux version)Skype works perfectly for me in Linux out of the box, with the only problem being that some times it gives a message "problem with sound device".After lot of trying around, i came to know that this problem wass due to ARTS engine in KDE. So I just turned it off.

I am not sure...but you can try gizmo project , I just installed it, havent tested it yet coz none of my friends has a gizmo account...worth a look, also supports windoze and linux, and the windoze version interoperates with google talk network.

i tried skype. its working ok. but there is a tremendous lag and the voice breaks quite a bit. i guess its my sucky connection!

Well actually yes it could be due to your connection...One more thing I would like to point out here...I just installed Kopete Messenger in Linux with Google talk voice support using the speex and MULAW codecs. The sound breaks/cracks when I have torrents running parallel..but skype works better .If you are lookin at linux to linux solutions..try linphone also ..and please report your successes and failures here, it will be a good resource.

yes, i will. i was trying ekiga but theres some problem with my laptop. i mean i am not able to use my mic at all. i have unmuted all channels ( including the mic ) and have turned them all up. i have unmuted capture as well...

QUOTE(aniketvb @ Jul 23 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]56571[/snapback]

If you are lookin at linux to linux solutions..try linphone also ..and please report your successes and failures here, it will be a good resource.
[/b]

Here is another open source choice (Windows as well as for Linux):
http://www.openwengo.org/

Skype releases toolbar for popular Windows Applications
EBay owned VoIP software giants Skype has announced the launch of three new toolbars for Web, email, and desktop applications.
This would help Skype users, as they would now be able to directly make VoIP calls from within these applications using the toolbar.
The company has released Skype Toolbar for Microsoft [...]

https://broadband.forum/archives/2006/0...leases-toolbar/

Skype to promote iSkoot for mobile phone users
Leaders in the VoIP software technology Skype has said that they would help market the software application named iSkoot which helps the user to get access to Skype contact list and VoIP capabilities on mobile handsets.
iSkoot enable the users to have the same Skype features on a mobile [...]

https://broadband.forum/archives/2006/08/10/iskoot/

Hi you techies out there,Can you help me with this weired problem of mine. I have BSNL broadband connection (home 900 plus). My operating system is Win XP SP 2 and . Since yesterday I'm not able to browse any site and none of my messangers (Yahoo, MSN Google) are working....but Skype and Shareaza are working fine .. Im able to talk thru Skype and download thruogh Shareaza ... but not able to browse through any of the browsers or chat through any of the messangers.I also Have a TATA Indicom Braodband, so when I connect on my machine through TATA Indicom Broadband (Through Cable Modem)... everything becomes fine, but as soon as i switch back to BSNL .. Im Left only with Skype and Shareaza working Can someone help me out pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease .. this is really frustrating for me. 🙁 EDIT: Im Located at puneAmitPS: Sometimes i get "limited connectivity" Message on my Loca Area Connection icons... for this i have run the patches available from microsoft and also "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt.

where are you Located ?BSNL dataone is disturbed since Aug 14 at some Locations .... if your problem is not resolved by itself bythis evening then give a complaint at yourExchange & report back here .( assuming that your configuration is okay and phone cable is fine since you are ableto use skype & shareaza )

a definite problem of DNS of BSNLPlease put the following IP in the DNS records of the network card.😛reffered: 61.0.0.5secondary 61.1.96.69this will definetly clear your problem.also tell you modem/router name and add the ip 192.168.1.5 in the IP address of the Network card.