Sky launches 3D channel - Off Topic

• Thread starter Thread starter pkgaran
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 2,854

pkgaran

ISP
Bsnl
Even though this subject is out of topic - I wish to post for what is latest going on the world

pkgaran

Sky launches 3D channel in pubs

Fans will be able to enjoy 3D from the comfort of their bar stool
Sky is kicking off the UK's first 3D channel with a live Premier League football match to be broadcast from nine pubs around the UK this weekend.

The match between Arsenal and Manchester United will be viewable in 3D in pubs in London, Manchester, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Dublin.
In April Sky will roll out its 3D channel to hundreds of other pubs.
Later in the year, Sky 3D will be made available to all Sky+HD customers with a range of content on offer.
This will include movies, sport, documentaries and entertainment.
Sky 3D will initially be available as a free add-on for those with Sky+HD boxes.

Viewers need to wear a special pair of glasses to watch the content.
There has been a great deal of hype around the technology since cinemas began showing films in 3D.

Avatar, shot in 3D, has become the highest grossing film of all time.
It is expected that 3D-ready TVs will hit the consumer market later this year.

"People have already embraced 3D cinema and because Sky's 3D service uses the same kind of technology, we're confident there will be demand for sport, movies, concerts and drama in 3D," said Gerry O'Sullivan, SKy's director of strategic product development.
In February, two rugby matches in the Six Nations championship will be filmed in 3D and shown at cinemas around the UK.

The 2010 World Cup will also be filmed in the format.
The BBC was the first to show a 3D sports event, broadcasting a Scotland v England rugby match at the Six Nations championship in 2008.
2010 Indian Primer League - T20 Cricket is planning to Live telecast 5 Matches to show a 3D Sports Event in 2010.

HOW 3D BROADCASTS WORK

Sky 3D TV kicks off, and we were there

As we first reported on Thursday last week, Sky here in the UK today made television history today with the world's first live screening of a major sporting event in 3D.
The match they chose was a tense top of the Premier League affair between Arsenal and Manchester United, at Arsenal's Emirates home in North London.
Your correspondent was, of course, there, resplendent in 3D glasses and the obligatory thick jacket and woollen overcoat.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451586c69e2012877397b6a970c-pi

If you ever wondered what the London technology press looks like with 3D glasses on, I hope this picture answers your question.
As for the coverage itself, well, for a first attempt you've got to say it was impressive.
Sky craftily uses graphics to tweak the images into 3D life, with its 3D logo contstantly coming at you out of the screen.
The demo was done using passive 3D technology with polarising lenses rather than the more expensive active glasses favoured by the likes of Panasonic. Sky's 3D programming will support both active and passive systems.

First impressions are that the active system, which uses lenses that open and close in sync with the signal at speeds invisible to the human eye, provides a smoother feeling overall than the one on display today.
As a spectacle wearer, my eyes itch when I first put the passive glasses on, though the feeling subsides after 5 minutes or so. The 3D glasses themselves are less of a barrier than I'd feared. Since everyone was wearing them, no one felt stupid, and there wasn't even any pointing and laughing.

Coverage of the match itself I will leave to our impeccable sports department, but I will say this.
What's noticeable about the coverage is how much lower to the pitch the camera needs to be to produce the full HD effect.
When we swoop away for the traditional top down view, you'd hardly know you were watching in 3D.

Standout moments come with the likes of corners and goalkicks. Here, with the ball static and the player approaching the camera, it's hard not to ooh in admiration at the feeling of presence, being there that the lower camera angle produces.

In the 13th minute, when Andrei Arshavin shaved the post with a shot, it looked to be coming right at you on the instant reply. I suspect that Sky's directors will have to work hard to switch cameras to try and make those moments happen live as much as they can.
On balance, though, this experiment was a success. Though nothing can ever replicate the feeling of being in a stadium, this – with the lights off and a huge TV screen – comes close.

Oh, and the added dimension does not make Wayne Rooney any prettier, beautiful though his goal may have been.