SITI BROADBAND - Am I being ripped off?

ISP
SITI Broadband
Hi everybody.

An important question and my first post here.

Recently, Siticable arrived at my doorstep offering a month's free internet with a Wifi adapter, no money down (10 Mbps/40 GB). I figure,sure why not. I used it for a month, and found it pretty decent. Upto that point, I had a very reliable Airtel connection.

So I called up Airtel and asked them to put their connection on hold, so I can return to it on my existing plan, if the Siti thing doesn't work out. Next I called up SitiCable and asked them for a 20Mbps connection with a 60 GB FUP. Turns out that plan has just been axed. The best they can offer is a 50 GB connection but at a 100 Mbps speed. (Same cost as my 16 Mbps, 50 GB FUP Airtel connection.)

FUP is not that great but at least the speed is great right? So I paid for the plan and asked them to activate it. It was operational within the hour. Checked the speed... 15-20 Mbps. Called up their customer care, who said that I might need a new Wifi router and that they'll get back to me. Okay.

Two days later their chaps arrived at my door and replaced their existing Cisco router with a Changhong router (dual band I think, since it had two antennas). Tested the speed - 40-50 Mbps. They assured me that it would rise to 90-95 Mbps in a bit.

Tested it today (an hour back, as a matter of fact) and I'm getting 12 Mbps. Called up customer care again and the rep asked me to test it with a LAN instead of Wifi - did so and that's giving me 90-95 Mbps speed. My family uses laptops, tablets and cellphones. No desktop, so no LAN cable.

Naturally I asked him to get the WiFi fixed, but the slick character informs me that Siticable only guarantees the speed for LAN cables not for WiFi. (Interestingly, they didn't give me a LAN cable with the router.)

My question to you folks is - is this true? Have I just been ripped off with a 100 Mbps connection that I can only use at 15 Mbps?

there are a lot of 300Mbps N routers available online. try adding that to your existing modem via lan.

also, some old phones have hardware limitations, that it cannot reach 100Mbps speed on wifi . check your phone with different wifi hotspots.

there are a lot of 300Mbps N routers available online. try adding that to your existing modem via lan.

also, some old phones have hardware limitations, that it cannot reach 100Mbps speed on wifi . check your phone with different wifi hotspots.

Thing is - SITI delivered and installed the router. And then replaced it after the first complaint.

Also, I tested the speed on my laptop. Has an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3160 adapter. Rated at a max speed of 433 Mbps. Should be able to handle 100 Mbps comfortably.

You should be able to get speeds of up to 70+ Mbps easily when you have a proper AC Router and AC Cards. *Check if the router you have is 'Wireless AC' capable, 'N' in my experience usually tops at around 40-50 Mbps.
The best thing to do is start with checking the actual wireless link speed on your computer (from Network & Sharing Center, simply click on the WiFi connection) - because the end internet speed depends a lot on the link speed between the wireless router & the computer. *Also note that the link speed will not necessarily translate into the actual internet speed, the actual speedtest.net results would be a lot lesser than the link speed in my opinion.

I have experienced 70+ wireless speeds on my ACT Incredible plan (100 Mbps) & it would give around 90-95 Mbps on wired. I have Asus RT-N65u & D-Link DIR-850L routers, the later is a Wireless AC capable of up to 1200Mbps.
My OnePlus mobile connects to wireless at 433Mbps & the Dell Latitude E7440 also around the same speeds.

I downgraded to ACT 50Mbps plan from last month, would have posted the screenshots otherwise.