Sim based Router recommendation for 5G cellular network

• Thread starter Thread starter _Dexter
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 252
  • Views Views 24,287
Chateau 5G ax and Chateau 5g are available in India. All currently deployed bands (in India) are supported. But, not all 5g bands. Both products cost a ton (above 50k). I'd buy a cheap 5g phone and put it in hotspot, instead.

@pothi Thanks. Reason behind getting Router instead of 5G phone (I already have one that I use for calls n stuff) is that I want to use Internet 24*7*365 days. On top of that network is weak where I live (5G doesn't work inside house). For that reason I am looking for router that I can use with external antenna.

Chateau routers are good but I have no idea where I can buy it without getting scammed. If you know any trusted seller or site, please let me know.

Since these are not really regular consumer products and more catered towards businesses, COD may not be available. You can ping them on WhatsApp +91 84540 72266, they’ve been responsive when I’ve checked with them few months back for another Mikrotik product.

So most likely you’d need to make the payment in advance before they’d dispatch the item.

FGTech is trustable. One Mikrotik product (SXT LTE6) from them is on the way. I've purchased from them earlier too. They also helped me to clarify an issue when I purchased a product from another seller. But, FGTech is not the cheapest among the resellers / distributors. I still go with FGTech (even with higher price) for all my purchases, due to trust. The other seller that I dealt with earlier didn't have a clue about certain technical aspects. I had to contact MikroTik directly to clarify an issue. Before MikroTik replied, FGTech responded and clarified.

I used to buy from Multilink. Since Multilink is a major distributor, it doesn't respond to queries by individuals fast enough. They even admitted this on a private conversation. It is okay to buy from Multilink if you don't contact them for any further queries.

Here's the list of all distributors and resellers in India... MikroTik . You can trust all of them in general, to buy any MikroTik product. However, I can't comment on their customer care as I don't have experience with all of them.

All Chateau products are indoor products. Getting the right external antenna could be a daunting task. One might need to go through multiple trial and error.

Yeah even I felt the same. Recently I got a hex S and Multilink was the cheapest after checking with multiple sellers. But yes, not at all responsive, even when I placed the order online, they didn't both to even send an email confirmation with the shipping details, I had to call and ask for it. On top of it, they spoke in a tone like why is this guy calling.

FGTech in comparison was very responsive on WhatsApp and shared the prices transparently even though I didn't end up buying from them.

I asked FGTech on whatsapp about Chateau 5G ax but they said it's not available in India. I don't understand how come they have listed that item on their website then.

I would wait until Jio AirFiber is out, for now even though you have a 5G CPE you would not be able to use this with Jio 5G, no problem with Airtel 5G.

I own a Huawei CPE Win & CPE PRO2 (got them 2 years back) when prices were still affordable. My intent was to use them as Failover when my Primary internet has any downtime, no problems with AirTel 4G,5G and Jio 4G but if you switch to Jio 5G you can only use that as an access point and would only ALLOW you if you are passing the internet through LAN port to any device (like Laptop, etc)

If you intent to use the LAN out to WAN IN for your router (tested many Ubiquity UDM
PRO, TP-Link, D-Link, Asus) it blocks the internet. Tried all IP settings, IP4, 6, Dual Stack, Bridge, I was not able to make it work. It would ping the CPE but RTO after this hop. I don’t know what Jio has deployed but this is a notorious plan not to allow personal 5G CPE for now, so no option other than waiting for Jio AirFiber.

Looking forward to hear experiences from fellow group members

@ishanjain28 - Thanks for highlighting this and I’m completely clueless about 464xlat.

Huawei is another absolute annoyance, their CPE PRO2 had a software update last year in which they disabled the option to ‘allow 5G’ and further select ‘SA only, NSA + SA’ and left this to ‘Auto’. So this now don’t even connect to Jio 5G (SA) and latches only to its 4G. Airtel being NSA has no problems. There are numerous complaints about this in Huawei forums and they would not care.

Humbly checking if you can offer any help on how to make this work : Huawei CPE (Jio 5G) > Ubiquity UDM Pro ? Can any intermittent device between these two help which can work with this protocol? Is it the case that CPE also needs to support 464xlat?

PS - Until now I’m also unable to get a IP6 address at the WAN side of Ubiquity UDM PRO even from my Jio Fiber which has IP6

Last edited:
Humbly checking if you can offer any help on how to make this work : Huawei CPE (Jio 5G) > Ubiquity UDM Pro ? Can any intermittent device between these two help which can work with this protocol?

I don't have a way to test this for you right now. :/

Is it the case that CPE also needs to support 464xlat?

I believe there are two ways this can go. One is, CPE acts as a dumb device forwarding IPv6 traffic between UDM Pro and 5G Provider. There will be no ipv4 traffic here and you'll have to figure out a way to configure CLAT on UDM to use 5G provider's 464xlat setup.

Another option is CPE detects it'll need to run CLAT, does that automatically and provides connectivity over IPv4 and IPv6. I am guessing Huawei probably has not added the CLAT component so it fails to work on a IPv6 only network.

I don't know if Jio uses SLAAC or DHCPv6 on Jio Fiber so I can't really help you with that either. I'll suggest capturing some packets on the WAN interface and check if you see any Router advertisements and then figure out the way to add IP addresses on the interface from those RAs in UI