Sify - Internet Sharing Using A Router

• Thread starter Thread starter hpgupta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 4,686

hpgupta

hi (esp to those who remember me...was an active user here a long time back)i have a sify 64k shared / unlimited connection. It is being shared by 2 PCs using window's ICS.I am planning to buy a router...had a few questions regarding that...1) if i share my connection using the router...the sify line going directly in the router...and the dialer being controlled by one PC...would the bandwidth be divided? or would i get 64k individually in all the PCs? Right now, using ICS it is obviously being divided...would a router be able to change this?2) can i use easy-sify or some other client to get thru the mac address problem? I mean specifically when using a router.3) would i be restricted to only one particular PC to control the connection? or can i use any PC on the network (as long as it has the dialer) to switch the sify connection on and offNote: I would prob be buying a D-Link wireless routerthanks

even i wanted to do that. if anyone can put some light on it. would be really appreciated.i just want to use 1 PC wirelessly

QUOTE(hpgupta @ Aug 7 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]57856[/snapback]
hi (esp to those who remember me...was an active user here a long time back)

i have a sify 64k shared / unlimited connection. It is being shared by 2 PCs using window's ICS.

I am planning to buy a router...had a few questions regarding that...
[/b]
You don't necessarily need a router if you're gonna have only two PCs. If you're planning to add more over time then a router's a fair investment. Without a router, you can use a "crossover cable" to connect your PCs directly to each other. google for it, you'll get it. All it needs is a wire, two clips and the crimper. The computer with the direct connection from Sify will act as a router for the other one.

1) if i share my connection using the router...the sify line going directly in the router...and the dialer being controlled by one PC...would the bandwidth be divided? or would i get 64k individually in all the PCs? Right now, using ICS it is obviously being divided...would a router be able to change this?
[/b]
It'll be divided into the number of computers active at a time.

2) can i use easy-sify or some other client to get thru the mac address problem? I mean specifically when using a router.
[/b]
Yes.

3) would i be restricted to only one particular PC to control the connection? or can i use any PC on the network (as long as it has the dialer) to switch the sify connection on and off
[/b]
With Mac spoofing enabled you could control from anywhere. The only problem could be memory of the login status. The max you may have to do is login and then logout. Doesn't make a difference anyways as the SAM server doesn't keep track of it.

Regards,
Siddhesh

anything for me siddhesh G. 1.) I don't need anycable connection between PC and Router (Wireless)2.) I don't want to use any dialer. like is adsl U don't have to dial. always On Connection. If Possible.3.)hmmm Thats All ??

QUOTE(kuldeep @ Aug 12 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]58313[/snapback]
1.) I don't need anycable connection between PC and Router (Wireless)
[/b]
I've not tried anything with wireless stuff yet, so can't comment on it; probably will once I start earning 🙂

2.) I don't want to use any dialer. like is adsl U don't have to dial. always On Connection. If Possible.
[/b]
That's entirely ISP dependent. Sify is not ADSL, so you'll have to dial in. It is possible to simulate an "always on" connection. Build your own Linux based router; there's plenty of resources online for this. You'll only need an old PC for this. Apart from a very basic installation, you'll need to install sify's dialer and use the automation script (posted somewhere on this forum) to automatically log in on router startup. If you can't find the script you can also use antidialer with your username and password in a script.

To stay connected simply put whatever login method you have (the script or antidialer) into a cron job that will logout and login after, say, every 2-3 hours.

3.)hmmm Thats All ??
[/b]
When you setup your router you have to be careful with its configuration so that you only let in(and out) legit traffic. Also, your inner network will have a different IP address set.

Regards,
Siddhesh Poyarekar

hey siddhesh...i already have 3 PCs connected with crossover cables (the server machine has 3 ethernet cards). I have two more laptops that I usually connect by disconnecting one of the client PCs. So a router is much-needed.Anyways, you answered the questions...thx 🙂

hi,did u connect ur sify broadband with Netgear wi-fi router succesfully as u think. i connected it and its working. but to login i have to use the sify client from an another computer who has a friendly MAC of sify. after i shutdown this computer without logout the client, the internet in the other computers will lost after a certian time 🙁 is this is the way u r using ur sify with ur netgeat router? if yes pls help me to get a stable connection.

QUOTE(Sanju john @ Oct 29 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]67109[/snapback]
hi,

did u connect ur sify broadband with Netgear wi-fi router succesfully as u think. i connected it and its working. but to login i have to use the sify client from an another computer who has a friendly MAC of sify. after i shutdown this computer without logout the client, the internet in the other computers will lost after a certian time 🙁

is this is the way u r using ur sify with ur netgeat router? if yes pls help me to get a stable connection.
[/b]

I use easy sify as the client...using mac spoofing i can login on any of the PCs on the network...solves the auto-logout problem as well

check the sticky topics here for a link to easy sify