Sify Destroyed my Laptop

• Thread starter Thread starter absquez
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 4,049

absquez

ISP
BSNL
Hi All,I had the worst experience of my life with Sify Broadband. I have had sify for nearly 2 years out of which more than 1 year was in chennai and so i decided to go with sify when i moved to bangalore.Their service was descent and the night and weekends plan suited me a lot. But i never knew that this would cost me so dearly.Sify provides internet by pulling a LAN cable all the way upto your house or location. These LAN networks are maintained by local cable operators, who are worthless people with no regard for customer care.For me what happened was i always kept the LAN cable fixed in my laptop, and one disastrous day sify's lan cable which dangles around power lines came in contact with one somewhere. And that was the last day of my laptop. Even though my laptop was switched off, the power spike burned the LAN port of my laptop so badly that the connectors melted and the motherboard is damaged forever. HP people sent me a quote for a replacement motherboard for 18k!!!!!!! :hysterical:Imagine i can buy a new desktop for 18K. After numerous calls and emails to Sify nothing has happened. Though there were some funny instances when i was talking to the customer care people, the guy at the other end kept telling me sir our networks cannot carry high voltages, they are designed to carry only low voltages. I thought yeah thats why they are called conducting wires. :wall:Anyways take my advice refrain yourself from taking Sify and go for bsnl even if its a pain in the ass.

Bad service is one thing. Destruction of property is completely different. File a complaint in consumer court. Maybe something will come out of it.

I think Sify should provide a surge protector or something .Anyways this way DSL is safe. They will only fry the modem if the telephoneline comes in contact with a power line

yes proving its their fault is the most difficult part. They have all sorts of clauses in their contract to protect themselves. I have pictures of the damaged and burned out LAN port, plus the motherboard and the laptop is still with me and the HP technical report says burned issue near LAN port, but then again they can always say i got it burned somewhere else and i am blaming them.Though i would like to warn people about Sify so please spread the word that such things do happen and can happen and will happen as long as irresponsible service providers like Sify are in business. The only way is through education both self and others so that people are not victimized by companies like Sify.Abhijeet.

happened with my cousin too. the mobo got fried. but luckily it was a desktop, so the mobo was replaced for about 3500.i use a lan card. i've heard that in case of a spike, only the lan card will get damaged (which costs about 350) & the mobo will be unaffected, rite??

yes if you have a lan card you are relatively safer since the lan card will take the heat, but then you can be never sure. things may go nasty and the lan card may not be able to hold the spike and pass it onto the mboard and that will be the end of the board. if its a desktop then still the replacement wont cost much but if its a laptop i would recommend using wireless and keeping the lappy safe with as much protection as you can afford.I think its best to be safe and put another device in between like maybe a switch or a router. Now i have put a wireless router even though i have a DSL internet from BSNL but still why take chancesAbhijeet.

^^ ya with laptop, its only wireless. u cant take chance with overhead cables of sify. underground cables of mtnl/bsnl are pretty safe.

very long back when i got my first internet (i was staying somewhere else), within 3 months, LAN card fried because of lightening.but my cable op gave me free replacement for it.