Sify Broadband Users, Introduce yourself

• Thread starter Thread starter Fred
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 225
  • Views Views 94,076
mobiles came to india in 1995-1996 i guess. and internet is in india since than from what i know. my hotmail account dates back to 1998. and it was made in a cafe running gui browsers. i am pretty sure shell access came to india by 1996.

I never said we are born losers. The problem with some people on this forum is that they want the moon. Broadband is a part of infrastructure. You look at the roads, our highways , our power supply. Do you dare compare them to to those of the advanced countries? Mobile networks have been a miracle here. And I never said that Broadband won't be too. It seems that you want everything too soon. My friend, when we say this is India we mean it's very naive comparing it to Korea, US etc. You don't compare a Broadband fledgling to a Broadband superpower like Korea.It's understandable when foreign people come here and diss our internet speeds because they are used to fast internet and it's a pain to suffer a slow one after getting used to theirs. They might as well bash our roads, utilities etc. too but these aren't getting any better overnight even if they are privatised. It takes time.Just google for "Broadband in Korea", "Broadband in Japan", "Broadband in Europe" etc., download PDF files containing Govt. sponsored reports about the state of Broadband in those countries, and you'll find among other things that in Korea 98 % schools have Broadband, 78 % homes have Broadband. In Japan you can get 8 MBps for as low as 10 $, in Korea you can get 26 MBps for 30 $. And what do you know, download limits and speed caps aren't anything unique about Sify. They are rampant across true Broadband service providers in developed countries too.

And you know what. To be able to repeat the success we have had with mobile phones with broadband too, computers need to be as cheap as TV sets and broadband needs to be as cheap as cable TV.Thankfully TRAI does set out such goals in its policy documents.

Well put, inetbum, its the point we should understand.But this is an introduction thread, and we are discussing indian broadband here :/ I sure hope true broadband introduces itself here sometime though 😉

i'm chirag from thane, right next to mumbaii guess i'm the only guy with a 96 Kbps packagedoes anyone know anything about it, limitations?i'm a 17 year old Lord of the Rings fanand my IP is 10.12.9.100anyone?

there is supposed to be a 75megs limitation per day after which speeds could go down to 24-30kbps. Sify say so off the record. But since you have the package, you would know. What speeds you get normally. What speed you get after making big downloads in a day. 🙂

I'm a 23 year old Computer Engineer from Poona. Write Eclipse plugins for a living.Use the 64Kbps Unlimited Shared. All those words seem to contradict each other, no ? 🙂First 2 months experience with sify absolute crap. Zero connectivity from 12am to 6-7 am. However, the connection is pretty stable now. Satisfied, I am.Their client is absolute "I am a 3 year old" programming. I'm attaching a screenshot of how it looks on my XP box - I have a 1900x1200 WUXGA. Besides looking like crap - it is a hog and hardly does what it's supposed to. I'll be releasing a very minimal client for Windows soon - and one in Java too. Stay t00ned.

😀 Hi Iam a Engg Student From Bangalore.I use the 128 KBS unlimited(Night) Connection from Sify .

Hi i am an X Sify user , earlier I had the 32KBPS unlimited package(when introduced) but it hardly worked and i made the mistake of telling the cable guy(who installed the connection) to fix it instead of calling sify customer care since i was not aware they had any customer care..and nobody told me..even then it worked for a day and stopped after that, and on and on, so in a month i wasted 4500 bucks i think, 3500 for installation and 1000 bucks for the month unlimited package which hardly even worked for a week ...so now i dont like it but i swear if i had the power i'd burn 'em down !

:blink: i am a kamina on the net 24hrs a day from navi mumbai 😉

25 (soon to be 26)...south-west delhigateway 10.19.5.1came here to find out stuff on p2p...have lots to share 😀 suggestion to admin/moderator...can the latest reply/post be on the top rather than at the end, in some cases at the end of the last page??? it will be easier to view the posts that way....i think...