Sify Broadband Linux Client

• Thread starter Thread starter ujjwal
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 63
  • Views Views 15,409
Originally posted by ujjwal@Nov 22 2004, 02:57 PM
Anyone measured how much resources "sifyd" takes up?
[snapback]2302[/snapback]
[/quote]

Here's a screenshot of a top output sorted by Memory util in descending order !

Originally posted by fullyaddicted@Nov 22 2004, 08:46 AM
why suse 9.1?. novell suse has released 9.2. i have download and currently installed 9.2 pro(using bit torrent)  🙂 . i had a issuse with mandrake with lan card. 🙁

maybe i will. if u can tell me something big that changed between 9.1 and 9.2 that would make me to chose 9.2 over 9.1? B)

u have any bluetooth or infrared devices? 😛 i have a wireless keyboard mouse combo but that worked fine with mandrake 10.also 🙂 any linux is fine for me as long as it supports opera, gaim, a good html/text editor and a ftp client 😛 ofcourse after connecting to the net 😀

I am online through Sify using Knoppix LiveCD for the last 4 hours 🙂. And I didn't use the Sify client to log in too which I can't anyway since I don't have Linux installed. So all the problems @$$ociated with Sify's linux client are eliminated 🙂

practically speaking, we can use sify in any OS after booting in windows. logging in using the sify client. crashing it. and restarting to any other OS. the IP is logged on. 🙂

Originally posted by inetbum@Nov 24 2004, 11:36 PM
I am online through Sify using Knoppix LiveCD for the last 4 hours 🙂.
[snapback]2359[/snapback]
[/quote]

:s how u did that ? Me too have the knoppix live CD but i failed to insert my gateways and all

would u tel me something more on this ?

You need the following settings (get it from customer care)IPSubnet MaskGatewayDNS Name serversDNS server search ordersHmm ... thats it I think. In redhat based systems, open a console window, and type netconf. Enter the first two in Basic host info. And DNS settings in DNS config, gateway in hmm ...Dunno the exact procedure in knoppix ... maybe inet can help. BTW yea sushubh thats what I do to login 😉

lol so we can log in with the Sify client under Windows,end it through the Task Manager and then get back online without having to log back in, is it? Cool, I'll try it out 😀. Incidentally the file hbsbeat.exe was supposed to log us out when we forgot to log out ourselves before turning off our PC. Good thing we have either deleted or blocked it :lol:

Hey guru 🙂 , to set your LAN card under Knoppix go here and follow the steps:-http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/debian/chap...ok/ch10_02.html.
And those steps will work for any kind of Linux whether Suse,Red Hat, Mandrake or anything because they are standard Linux commands 😉 .

r u sure inetbum, becasue if this is ur aswer , then i can bet u hadn't done it.If u use a live CD u can't change ur network configurations as wriitting on CD in not possible. So Whenevr i try to change my gateway and other values., it shows me the error.Now what u have to say :s

No guru, that doesn't matter. When we run the Knoppix LiveCD the RAM is treated as a Hard Drive and all the files we create and any configurations we do are temporarily stored in the RAM. Thus when you reboot they are lost. Ofcourse you can mount your hard drive and save your data to your Windows partition, for eg. if it's a text file. And there's a way to save your configurations to the hard disk too without installing Knoppix which I haven't bothered to read yet, just check out http://www.knoppix.net.

I am even typing this using the Knoppix LiveCD :lol:. All you got to do is follow what they say on the web site I gave you before about setting up a LAN. It's an excellent write-up about networking on linux.

hmm... when would USB drives offer around a gig of space. then we can really have a portable OS that we can carry around anywhere with our set of browsers mail clients and stuff!linux really give a lot of potential for weird sort of functionalities.

Installed the Sify Linux client on my Knoppix 3.6 installed system 😀. Logs me in quite smoothly and has been no problem so far. The only bug which should be a boon for us is that once I log in using it, it doesn't log me out even if I tell it to by issuing the command sifyconnect --logout :lol: