Sify Broadband client reverse engineered

inetbum

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 30, 2004
Hi everone,
Here's a site I found that has the Sify log in client for linux reverse engineered http://www.indiasec.com/papers/pratap/sify.html

Good stuff as you get to understand what actually goes on behind the scenes, not just on linux since the concepts explained there must apply for windows too . And considering that the linux client is unstable, a good place to start writing a stable one.

inetbum

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 30, 2004
:) Now let's just hope an alternative client comes out of it.

inetbum

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 30, 2004
That website is truly groundbreaking. If you examine it properly you get to learn how to connect to Sify manually, disguising your self as the Sify Client (lol). It is a true piece of hacking. Applauses for the Team that Reverse Engineered it.

inetbum

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 30, 2004
The workings must be 90 % same for Windows :). Just the programming language on Windows must be VB (not sure, one of the client programmers would know :p ) and on Linux it is C. Also on Windows I observed the Client fetches information from the Registry which doesn't exist in Linux.

ujjwal

Regular
Regulars
Oct 17, 2004
But at the heart the 2 clients are the same ... that is they communicate with the SAM server identically ... obviously.

inetbum

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 30, 2004
Right ;). They work pretty much the same. That @n@1ysis along with the contents of the debug.log file in the Sify Broadband folder under Windows are all that are needed for understanding the Windows client in my opinion.