• Thread starter Thread starter inetbum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 6,214

inetbum

Regulars
ISP
MTNL TriBand Combo Unlimited
Here's a wonderful incident from the Sify stable. This happened to me yesterday and made me wonder whether I am in a non-democratic country.Yesterday night around 8.30 PM I was browsing the internet as usual. At one time I decided to look on Google for something which regarded a controversial topic which is in the news nowadays. And just a few minutes later my internet stopped working.I thought it was a routine disruption in Sify's services. I pinged my gateway. It responded. I pinged the SAM server. It showed the SAM server as down. So I @$$umed it was a SAM server downtime issue. When even after 3-4 hours my service hadn't resumed I started having suspicions. I started to monitor the data that moved through my local neighborhood LAN to see whether others were able to access Sify. And what did I see, people were chatting on Yahoo, visiting websites etc. I scanned my LAN and found 10 PCs up even at 12 in the night. All were enjoying the internet while I'd been selectively cut off!So what I did was change my IP address and voila! I was able to log into my account. However they hadn't unblocked my IP till 10 in the morning today when I left home. Now when I'm back in the evening I find it unblocked.I don't know what it was that prompted them to block my IP. I wasn't doing anything at the moment it happened except as I said, I was looking up some controversial stuff on Google. What do I take this to mean? Initially I did think I was being paranoid and it was probably a network trouble or something. But when I saw others accessing the internet happily while I had been selectively cut-off, it made me suspect Sify.Anyhow, now I've my IP and my internet service back so I'm very happy. The purpose of this write-up is to let Sify customers know what could potentially happen to them. As far as I'm concerned I now suspect to a great degree that Sify is capable of taking unwarranted steps against its customers and stamp on their freedoms through sneaky methods.

This is absolutely disgusting.....they are peeping into our privacy, curbing our freedom...that's too much.......are we living in a democratic free country....perhaps we cud have been better off under britishbtw off topic but how do u monitor the traffic on my LAN.....any good software for it????

Good god... now that's rather scary!Although I wonder ... sometimes if I try to login with the linux client and it hiccups and doesn't work, im unable to ping my SAM server, but generally, I can do so soon after.

I don't think it's because of yuor search or i would be blocked all the time 😉

yeah i surely agree with fred they rnt monitirin our internet usage, if that wuld hav been the case then i wuld hav my connection shut down on the very 1st day and i hav been monitirin there software for suspicious activity and i m glad that it doesnt send all the info regardin our system to there server infact there server which is supposed to recive these kind of settings cant bcoz of there stupid file naming misatkes 😛 when i saw this i was rofl lmfao.

I don't know man. But whatever it was it angered me a lot that my neighbours were able to access the internet while I sat glum faced for no apparent reason. After all this much is clear that my IP was blocked.And it automatically corrected itself today :-| Sifreak.You know sometimes Sify reminds me of BOFH. If you don't know what it means google for it 😛. It stands for b*st*rd Operator From Hell, a fictional psycho network administrator who plays with people's accounts, deletes their data and tortures them deliberately. Maybe I had an encounter with a BOFH at Sify's servers.Man, Sify sometimes does scare me :blink:

so if i want to get my cousin admitted in DPS and want to search for it on the internet, i will get banned? 😱 OMFG! 😀

I have my sob story to add. Last Thursday, around 1 pm after a logout, I kept getting the 'Already logged in' error (505). I called up the CTO but there were no technical guys there at that time, so I called Helpline at around 3 pm. I was told that they will do something about it and I will be able to login in 15 minutes.Nothing happened and at I called helpline again at around 6. The explanation this time was that there were some problems with the service in Chennai and it will Friday morning before it gets fixed. I asked them whether every Sify user in Chennai is getting affected by this and they said yes.That sounded very suspicious. So I called CTO again at 7 pm. They said that there is nothing wrong with the services in Chennai. I told them my problem and they fixed the issue in 15 minutes.The Helplinewallahs are not merely ignorant idiots but cheating b******s as well.I don't know whether this had anything to do with my usage. At that point I had downloaded around 1.2 GB over the previous 7 days. On Friday afternoon, Sify even called up to check whether my connection is for residential usage or for an internet cafe or something.

lol, i download an avg of 2gb evry 7 days and i didnt get a call, and never ever trust the helpline people they r just sh*t and nothin else, belive only the technical guys frm sify as they do know somethin bout internet services,lol

sh*t (why does this board eats up my i in sh i t )flood control again strikes back on me in jsut a span of 10 mins,lol,i dont think they r clueless, its simply that they r hopeless, that worries me more :blink: