Should I go Wireless?

• Thread starter Thread starter powerontop
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 3,507
Whole point of going wireless is because I dont want wires hanging around in house. Whole house has concealed wiring, dont want to spoil it.

Choose the location of the wireless router/modem such that walls don't obstruct the signals.

hmm me and amish are in same boat. We have true/semi concealed wiring and MTNL lineman always gives argument that concealed wiring so what can we do. So to beat them at their own game, and not to pay them anything for crappy wires, I am going to have wiring only till my Hall which MTNL is anyways supposed to provide and put Splitter + Wifi Modem in Hall. With a USB Wifi Adapter in my Desktop in my Bedroom, will connect to it. There are just 1-2 walls to cross but I think if cordless phone can ring in bedroom(with base in Hall), Wifi being much stronger should not have any problems. There are doors in those walls so shudnt be a problem ;-) Anytime there is line problem, I can catch the lineman and ask him to fix and he cannot ask me money for laying wires till my BR. MTNL 3g will depend on tower proximity and am seeing lots of problems users of 3g in mumbai and mayb delhi too to get speeds > 384kbps so don't want to go that way. On other news, bb engineer coming on this sat to fix the problem nahi to Wifi Zindabad.

At appears that my problem occurs only when it rains! Today there is no rain and no disconnection!One of the walls from where wire comes gets affected by rain, so that cud be the reason.So I am hopeful that within 15-20 days, monsoon will go and my problem will get auto-fixed.

This is what my D-Link wifi router manual says:"Be aware of the direct line between network devices. A wall that is 1.5 feet thick (.5 meters), at a 45-degree angle appears to be almost 3 feet (1 meter) thick. At a 2-degree angle it looks over 42 feet (14 meters) thick! Position devices so that the signal will travel straight through a wall or ceiling (instead of at an angle) for better reception."

Just updating. The Lineman fixed the line disturbance and now I get stable connections although the SNR is around 21-22 only yet no disconnections 🙂 So much for a lineman who was blaming broken wires and what not. For now...no wireless 🙂

mtnl 3g is right choice... no wires, no lineman , no paint problem + you can take it with you when u travel across India

@popcorn: Ideally yes BUT with 3g comes headache of recharges, No MTNL Network signal where I might b surfing from(I currently use a Desktop) and 384 kbps speed though they say they give 3.x MBPS speeds and a host of other things I had read on mtnl 3g forums. a known devil is better than an unknown devil 🙂

powerontop Paytm makes recharging super easy. You get speeds of2 +mbps. The only thing you might need to worry about is signal strength.

are there any disconnections for constant downloads? I am a heavy downloader so any disconnections? rain disturbances? min speeds and max u get?

I really can't comment on the disconnections as I haven't used for more than2 hours at a stretch, it isn't my main connection. Speed will depend on signal strength in most cases. Getting good signal strength is essential, check the signal before switching full time to3g. At my place speed averages at 2.5mbps at about-71dBm. The tower is in front of my apartment, 300mts or so, so I haven't noticed significant differences even in heavy rains. I Best way is to try it for yourself for a few days and then switch over if you like it.