Should I go for BSNL connection?

• Thread starter Thread starter satya_461
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,558

satya_461

ISP
ACT Broadband
Hi , I stay in Bangalore. Currently, I have sify connection with day 256kpbs UL and Night 512 kbps UL. I pay Rs.1400 /- for this plan. I get speeds around 48-60 kbps at night only. I am thinking of moving to BSNL coz for the same amount I get 512 UL day and night. Also I can go for Home 1800 plan which is upto 2Mbps and Night Unlimited. So my questions mainly are1. Are there frequent disconnecting problems?2. If there are problems, how much time does it take to get it solved? ( I heard their customer service sucks!)3. How much speed do I get for Home 512 Plan?Please share you opinions I am totally 😕

@satyawhich area you are in? are you near to your local exchange?In bangalore, some areas, you get good speeds even in 256UL ! eg:I get 512kbps or above on both download/upload on 750UL ! So, if you are going for a bsnl connection, you can just try your luck by opting for 256kbps connection initially and if that doesnt workout, upgrade to 1350 (maximum issue you will have is to stay with bit lower speed for a month)if you are near to exchange, then you may face less disconnection issues... and since you dont have bsnl number, they will be giving new cabling. I think, BSNL is better than sify ! speed is up to 64KBps on 512... 32KBps on 256. always...all the best.. !!

Go for BSNL. Hiccups occur but it is unbeatable value for money and even performance. Use openDNS in modem settings. Get your own D-Link ADSL modem. Pay for the entire year in advance to save some money.Even Home 500 plan is great as you get night unlimited, and certain amount of day usage. Choose the plan carefully, you can download and upload a lot during night unlimited without too much costs, instead of computer running all day at slow speeds and consuming electricity too. But this depends on your Lifestyle and usage.When you get connection, check speed by visiting dataone.in speedtest. All other speedtests are immaterial. If the line is not noisy, you'll get tremendous speed.

@satya

which area you are in? are you near to your local exchange?

I stay in Adugodi. I dont know if I am near to exchange. How do you know that?

In bangalore, some areas, you get good speeds even in 256UL ! eg:I get 512kbps or above on both download/upload on 750UL ! So, if you are going for a bsnl connection, you can just try your luck by opting for 256kbps connection initially and if that doesnt workout, upgrade to 1350 (maximum issue you will have is to stay with bit lower speed for a month)

if you are near to exchange, then you may face less disconnection issues... and since you dont have bsnl number, they will be giving new cabling.

I think, BSNL is better than sify !

speed is up to 64KBps on 512... 32KBps on 256. always...

all the best.. !!
Thanks 🙂
How many days did it take to get the connection? I heard its takes minimum 1month.. is it true.?

Go for BSNL. Hiccups occur but it is unbeatable value for money and even performance. Use openDNS in modem settings. Get your own D-Link ADSL modem. Pay for the entire year in advance to save some money.

Can you please suggest the Type and Model No of the Dlink ADSL modem you are suggesting?

Even Home 500 plan is great as you get night unlimited, and certain amount of day usage. Choose the plan carefully, you can download and upload a lot during night unlimited without too much costs, instead of computer running all day at slow speeds and consuming electricity too. But this depends on your Lifestyle and usage.

When you get connection, check speed by visiting dataone.in speedtest. All other speedtests are immaterial. If the line is not noisy, you'll get tremendous speed.

Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

Adugodi, there is an exchange i believe.. You may get connection in few days (if they have free lines) !Just findout the nearest exchange and ask about the time ! Be polite to them...dataone speedtest is horrible as you dont see the right speed there, I see almost correct speed @speedtest.net !If you pay 10 months rent, you will save the next 2 month rent (it is good for those who got lots of money and dont know what to do with that) Model, he may suggest as he is using some ! I am using BSNL adsl router which costs 1800 (rent 90rs)

ADSL modem depends on your need. If you are only connecting one computer then the entry level ADSL modem with one ethernet port (and usually one USB thrown in) is sufficient. If you want to be able to connect more than one computer now or in future, you may want an ADSL modem with 4 ethernet ports. Finally, do you have need for wireless networking (eg. notebook etc)?

Check out websites of prominent brands, like Dlink, Netgear etc. The reason I say to stay away from purchasing or renting a modem via BSNL is because sometimes they run out of certain types of modem and then the entire process of getting a connection gets delayed. BSNL is huge every place has its own situation. That's all.

Make sure BSNL gives a splitter during installation.

EDIT: What I meant by other speedtest being immaterial is that BSNL does not give 2 #$%@ about them. They check and trust their own one. Which is a fairly decent and accurate test for BSNL Dataone consumers to check speed against each other.

The reason I say to stay away from purchasing or renting a modem via BSNL is because sometimes they run out of certain types of modem and then the entire process of getting a connection gets delayed. BSNL is huge every place has its own situation. That's all.

For me, Bangalore, they have always the Type IV(these days called as Type II) available. They are having problems with type I modem router. That is what an officer told me.

Reason for me to go for it is simple. If i pay 90Rs, I get warranty till i use it. If it gets worn out, i get a new one or it get replaced. Where as if i purchase and something happens, it takes its own sweet time to get replaced/repaired and i wont be able to browse for days.. And, if at all, i need to purchase a later stage, I can pay the remaining amount (1800- (amount we paid for rent)/2) and get the router for myself ! I never had disconnection issue on my wireless router !

Make sure BSNL gives a splitter during installation.

They will.. and they should !

Which is a fairly decent and accurate test for BSNL Dataone consumers to check speed against each other.

Whenever i used to check, speed were always like 2Mbps, 16Mbps eventhough i get max of 512kbps..

(now also it shows 1.2Mbps when i use the test @dataone.speedtest)

You see my daily reports from DU Meter. I never got speed more than 1.4 Mbps. Even then i'm very much satisfied with the download speeds.

Your decision pending.
I hope, you might already have applied for BSNL Broadband

@bhargawa Man! You are a downloading machine... 🙂.Thanks all you guys for your valuable time and replies!Finally I am going for BSNL connection . Hope I will get good speeds as you get!

ry Dude even i am sify user and i must say sify gives pathetic speeds with excellent customer care, on the contrary BSNL gives excellent speed with pathetic customer care. Switch to BSNL. If you are looking for both then u may try for airtel

Hi ,

I stay in Bangalore. Currently, I have sify connection with day 256kpbs UL and Night 512 kbps UL. I pay Rs.1400 /- for this plan. I get speeds around 48-60 kbps at night only.

I am thinking of moving to BSNL coz for the same amount I get 512 UL day and night.
Also I can go for Home 1800 plan which is upto 2Mbps and Night Unlimited.

So my questions mainly are

1. Are there frequent disconnecting problems?

2. If there are problems, how much time does it take to get it solved? ( I heard their customer service sucks!)

3. How much speed do I get for Home 512 Plan?

Please share you opinions I am totally 😕

AIRTEL is the best of both worlds... BSNL cust care do not know anything... if you have your own router.. forget it ... GO FOR AIRTEL BUDDY >>> take care

With night unmetered usage in Home 500 plan, I feel little need for Unlimited plans. Unlimited plan is good for SOHO people who might have need for faster tha dial-up speed during daytime. Otherwise capped plans are the way to go. You can measure your usage with bandwidthmeter program to get an idea how much you consume a day (average). With a little modification to browsing habits, you can be completely satisified with the most basic Rs. 500 plan. And of course all the P2P can be handled during night time. Speeds are good. Use OpenDNS.