Should I file an FIR?

tejasd

[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
Hi,Well this is a dilemma that I have been in for some time. There's a petrol pump near my house and it is rather convenient. However, all the employees there cheat customers (Management knows about it , also get a share of those illegal profits).How they cheat : 2 Wheelers - When you say you want to fill 100 bucks petrol, they act as if they heard 30. They put 30 in counter and when you realise its 30 you tell them you told 100. Now they only fill 70 bucks petrol claiming that they had already filled 30 bucks (Its a busy petrol pump, so usually many people don't bother). So Rs. 30 is in their pockets. (And not much visible difference in the meter).For 200, its 50. and so on.4 wheelers - usually 4 wheelers fill petrol in higher denominations. Like 500 - 1500.So they start filling the petrol (Manual fill, not auto counter based). for 500, they see if you are looking at meter at about 430. If you are not, they reset it and type 500. And say they have filled it.I've been cheated on 2 wheelers about 3 times (I caught them 2 times)My dad has been cheated once (When my dad found out, he made a ruckus, the pump gave him free petrol for 2 cars).My uncle also has been cheated once (Again on finding it out, he made a commotion, they gave free petrol for 2 cars).You can imagine if they can give away free petrol without thinking twice, they must be cheating customers to a lot more. The petrol pump comes in the constituency of Suresh Kalmadi and I have a suspicion that they have his backing (Its been going on for a couple of years now) and a cut of these profits goes to him.Would it be safe for me to lodge an FIR? Or is there another course of action that I can take?

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
2 Wheelers -
When you say you want to fill 100 bucks petrol, they act as if they heard 30. They put 30 in counter and when you realise its 30 you tell them you told 100. Now they only fill 70 bucks petrol claiming that they had already filled 30 bucks (Its a busy petrol pump, so usually many people don't bother). So Rs. 30 is in their pockets. (And not much visible difference in the meter).
I dont get the bolded bit, regardless of what they do so many units of petrol is sold and there should be a corresponding intake from that.

These things are all accounted for, how do they get away with anything ?

Only way is if you dont watch the meter, but this reset business is a real con. How the heck can do that.

If you dont see what has been put in then you dont pay.

mehrotra.akash

Regular
Regulars
May 17, 2008
Just be alert and look for a different petrol pump..These guys would also be adulterating the petrol and/or tampering with the pumps ( shows 1L dispensed, but dispense only 0.95L or so..) stay away from such pumps

rockingtushar

Regular
Regulars
Dec 5, 2010
Dude it is dangerous. There is a large oil mafia chain in the country. if you file an FIR then you might start receiving death threats. If you do decide to go for it i suggest you hire a good lawyer and apply for a handgun. Ask for police protection if possible.

tejasd

[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
I dont get the bolded bit, regardless of what they do so many units of petrol is sold and there should be a corresponding intake from that.

These things are all accounted for, how do they get away with anything ?

Only way is if you dont watch the meter, but this reset business is a real con. How the heck can do that.

If you dont see what has been put in then you dont pay.

The meter meaning the one on the vehicle. not on the pump.

@blr_p Exactly my concern. Is there a way of anonymously doing it?

IBFUser

Regular
Regulars
Dec 14, 2010
^^ Do you think they do it for free ? In my area, an elder couple's land was taken by some goons and when they called news channel, they demanded 3 lakhs from them to do the report.

jayant

Jayant
Regulars
Feb 5, 2009
Pune
Mahn move to some other petrol pump. Their is no use of getting involved in these kinda situations.I saw a similar issue right in front of me in my city where the owner of the petrol pump took out his gun in an incident regarding the filling of the petrol. They all are local mafia's who feed everyone from Police to the ministers. I too have faced similar problems but all you can do is argue & leave. All I did was move to some other petrol pump where they enter the amount in meter first & then fill up petrol.

x720

Incoherent Poster
Regulars
Aug 14, 2011
Gurgaon | Mumbai
Don't file an fir. The oil mafia in India is pretty strong. You may end up paying with your life. Just move to another gas station.

jayant

Jayant
Regulars
Feb 5, 2009
Pune
Yeah one of the IAS officers in maharashtra was burned down alive by the local oil mafia.