Shifted from MTNL to Hathway: Help needed

• Thread starter Thread starter nevillek
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 7,064
Been hearing Hayai name popping up and some dude from NZ commenting furiously here. What exactly is holding Hayai Broadband back? Govt, finance, licence, Visa ... what? Pardon being ignorant, and too lazy to research on google.

I am in South Mumbai area (Grant Road) and my local cable provider is Space Vision/Hathway because our T.V. set-top boxes are Hathway too.

So this "Space Vision" will probably also have the facility to connect you to an ISP other than Hathway, although judging by this page Space Vision is not a partner (but wouldn't hurt to try and see if they do provide any alternatives).

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Been hearing Hayai name popping up and some dude from NZ commenting furiously here. What exactly is holding Hayai Broadband back? Govt, finance, licence, Visa ... what?

Pardon being ignorant, and too lazy to research on google.

Govt (security clearence for the foreign director... aka, me)

So this "Space Vision" will probably also have the facility to connect you to an ISP other than Hathway, although judging by this page Space Vision is not a partner (but wouldn't hurt to try and see if they do provide any alternatives).

I spoke to the Space Vision people and they said that they don't have any "monopoly" in the area and I can get any ISP I want. So the only concern is if FIVENET is willing to provide me their service. But again, I have to first be sure that it doesn't disconnect as often as some people on the forum are mentioning. Whether it's a cablewallah problem or fivenet's server problem remains a BIG ?

nevillek said:
mgcarley said:

I spoke to the Space Vision people and they said that they don't have any "monopoly" in the area and I can get any ISP I want. So the only concern is if FIVENET is willing to provide me their service. But again, I have to first be sure that it doesn't disconnect as often as some people on the forum are mentioning. Whether it's a cablewallah problem or fivenet's server problem remains a BIG ?

It might pay to call Fivenet and ask. It *seems* with what little information we have to go by that it's probably a cablewallah problem, but realistically, only another user in your area could confirm whether the service will be any good for you or not.

My Mrs is in Mahim and has been using a Fivenet 512k plan for the last few weeks, and she doesn't seem to experience too many issues with it. Occasionally Skype video can be blurry, but NZ-India traffic goes via the USA so I'm not entirely surprised there (this is why I'm dreaming of building an India-Aus-NZ-US international cable to improve latency for India to the Pacific as well as Pacific to Middle East and Europe).

Thanks for your continued support with this Matthew. I just wish we had Hayai already 🙁 How long until the govt. gives you a clean chit..any estimates?

Govt (security clearence for the foreign director... aka, me)

Thanks Matt. I can understand your problems, especially after coming from London. 🙁

Thanks for your continued support with this Matthew. I just wish we had Hayai already 🙁 How long until the govt. gives you a clean chit..any estimates?

I'm coming to India I think in March to try and get some stuff hurried up.

Thanks Matt. I can understand your problems, especially after coming from London. 🙁

Yeah, it's a major pain in the ass. And even though I come from a commonwealth country they keep trying to apply the wrong regulations to every piece of paperwork I submit, which in some cases has delayed the applications by a month more than they should have been.

Hi Matthew,I just noticed something weird. As I had said about my Hathway cable internet connection, I get a transfer rate of 30kbps on 1 Mbps plan from 99% of the sites, however, I just tried downloading multiple files and surprisingly, the total speed from all the downloads adds up close to 100kbps but individual file transfer rates don't go beyond 30-35kbps. What's up with that? Now, my MTNL ADSL connection never behaved that way.On a side note, any updates on your clearance?

Try downloading using a download manager like Free download manager or Internet download manger.