Sharing MTNL Triband Broadband on multiple computers with wi-fi connectivity

• Thread starter Thread starter scotyard
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 154
  • Views Views 47,507
@viralthanks so much. shall try tht in a couple of minutes @essbeeiv already been to those sites..cudnt gather much help. thnx for the help though!cool, now im able to access the net through my pc and laptop with the directions given by viral. thnx so much!! jus a last thing, cud u also tell me how to password protect my wifi now? cos i hadnt done tht yet. thnx again!

i suppose your router should have something similar to what i mention below:in wireless settings, under security options, choose WEP option. below you will see a new block of settings. choose authentication as automatic, encryption strength as 128 bit. now type any passphrase and click generate. after generating you will get a long key. copy that key and when you connect your pc through wifi it will ask for this key. paste the key and you will get connected. note down the key somewhere else for further reference.

yup, got it perfectly, thnx!also, is ther a way to use net on only my desktop or laptop at a time..or do i hav to plug in both my router and modem even if i hav to jus use the net on my desktop?

If you want to use only the laptop then, you need not switch on the desktop, only the modem/router. But if you want to use only your desktop then you can switch off the wireless part only thru the settings page (I have this option in Linksys WRT54G). But frankly it’s not worth the bother. On the security aspect I suggest, have a look at Socrates?s experience: How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router
I know it’s a different make & model but the concepts are important and should be do able in your case to.
1) Eg WPA2 PSK (it’s the best currently) if your laptop & router both have this option,
2) Switch off the SSID broadcast (but first check that your laptop can login to a wireless signal that does not broadcast the SSID, HP laptops with Vista have this).
3) Also specify the machines which can use the wireless signal (by giving the MAC). These facilities are there on m Linksys, it should be available on your Netgear.

Also check out PC World - Business Center: 12 Downloads to Make Your Wi-Fi Life Easier and Fun freebies 🙂

Hope this is useful. J

Gr8 tutorial max

Have a few doubts though

Then go to the LAN Settings, change the IP range of the router from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255 to 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

^^^^^how to do this ?? I disabled DHCP, but still found no options to change this setting. P.S - I use Linksys WAG200G (wireless ADSL router)

Rest all settings are fine. Ping from laptop on comp's ip is working fine as well and vice versa.

Also, if i transfer data from my laptop to my computer (say via lan messenger or DC++), will this data pass through the router or directly ? If it passes through the router, will this count towards data usage on MTNL ?

If you look at the statement ‘Direct Connect allows you to share files over the Internet without restrictions or limits.‘ (DC++ your files, your way, no limits ) means that anything thru DC++ will be counted as DL. Are you referring to ‘Softros lan messenger’, if so then it does not require a net connection. Most lan messengers I know of, work without an internet connection as they operate over a local network.

But since your WAG 200G is a broadband modem cum router I am not sure if exchanging files between 2 computers over the wireless will be counted as DL. But Linksys.com – Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Gateways: Broadband Routers with Modems/Wireless-G (802.11g) says that you can share files, printers, hard drive space and other resources.
In my case since I use a separate modem (DSL 502T) and Linksys WiFi router (WRT 54G), I can keep the modem switched off and keep only the wifi router switched on to exchange files thru the wifi router between laptop & desktop.
Something similar might be possible with the WAG 200G. This last line is only a guess on my part.

I guess, if i want to exchange files between my laptop and comp, i will have to remove the ADSL connection to my router. In that case, no connection to the internet will be possible and hence nothing will be counted as DL.

can ne1 explain to me how to change the IP range of the router from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255 to 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255

I am not familiar with your router model type but just check if its 1) Possible to transfer files between 2 computers using the router, without it being counted as DL 2) If not then do the same using a lan messenger. If that works well & good. 3) If not then last, check if its possible to switch off the internet connection (modem) thru the settings page to transfer files using the router only. There must be a way of doing it as the Linksys page claims its possible. If your computers can see each other on the network, then its possible to transfer files. Frankly if there is so much rigmarole involved, it might be better to use a pendrive to transfer files 🙂

[FONT=&quot]This topic has grown too big to be searched properly. For a sticky i think some posts may be removed. anyways.
I could not configure my network myself inspite of Max s wonderful illustrations, none the less the customer care dame helped me well and I was able to setup a wireless network.
The problem is that she did not know how to make it work with bridge mode. So i had to revert to PPPoE. I was able to setup the network then and connected my laptop as well.
1. What do i have to do to revert to Bridge mode?
2. My PDA connects to the network but does not connect to internet?
What changes maybe required to make it work?[/FONT]

if you have more than one pc at home.. or even want to use a pda and a pc simultaneously then you cannot use bridged mode..

I have a desktop, a laptop and my windows based phone. If all three can be used, it would be ideal otherwise i would be happy to have desktop and laptop connected to internet through bridge mode.

well since you are in ppoe thats the correct config as you have multiple pcs and you wish to use the internet simulataneously..