• Thread starter Thread starter hitman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 20,479

hitman

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
I want to share my airtel internet connection using bluetooth between my PC and laptop ... I have got a bluetooth dongle for my pc and bluetooth is build in the laptop ... So can anyone help me in the process of sharing internet between these 2 devices ...

what a coincidence. i was planning to get a laptop and wanted to inquire the same thing, if its possible on linux. then i did google and found many such topics. so i thought i will first try and ask if i cant do it. may be this can help:
tcpip on bluetooth - Google Search

I wasn't able to try it cos laptop is with my cousin ... Whenever she comes here she don't allow me to use internet 😀 ... So I am planning a way to keep her limited to her laptop 😀 ... Btw it will be on vista ...

i wanted to find that to share my MTNL connection without need to buy wifi router.still have to buy bluetooth dongle for PC (and hope it works on FC6)still have to buy laptop

Go for WiFi rather than Bluetooth for Internet sharing.
WiFi killed Bluetooth long ago as a medium for hifi wireless data transfer.

Very short range, loooow data transfer rates dont make Bluetooth ideal for internet sharing.

Bluetooth Wireless Networking Explained

BTW, BlueTooth 2.0 boosts higher transfer rate with EDR, still Bluetooth's age for wireless network is gone!

I don't want to purchase wifi router ... I want to share internet just 1-2 days every week so its not worth buying it to setup wifi ...

120kb is not a bad internet speed considering that i just want sharing for chatting and text emailing.it wud save me 2-3k Rs right?

Yup it do save 2-3k ... Just for the update ... today I was successful in sharing the internet using bluetooth ... It was very very easy 🙂

great. next time ur cuz comes can u check out, how far if u take laptop, does it drop the connection? i.e. how many feet is bluetooth range. i know in that link above its said 30ft but i feel that real limit might be less, also does it make any speed different as u go farther? also do walls cause problems like taking laptop to another room?

My desktop is on first flooor ... Here r the results at various location:First floor ... working .. signal strength abt 70-90% ... max transfer rate achieved 65kBps ... No ping breakGround floor ... working .. signal strength abt 50-60% ... max transfer rate achieved 50kBps ... No ping breakSecond floor ... working .. signal strength abt 50-60% ... max transfer rate achieved 52kBps ... No ping break Terrace ... sometime working sometime not .. signal strength abt 0-40% ... max transfer rate achieved 23kBps ... regular ping breakOn same floor without wall .... it worked everywhere inside the room ... It got dc after I went outside ... approx distance 60-70m

wow thats nice. thanks a lot for this info. so bluetooth is def going to be my choice. for faster speeds i can anyway attach LAN cable when i want to download.only thing i am not sure how is bluetooth support in linux. infact linux to linux. i am going to install linux on laptop and save money by asking Dell not to install any OS.

Np... I have Ubuntu installed on my desktop but on laptop its vista... so can't check it for linux to linux ... I think it is providing max speeds on sharing net ... Max I get on my desktop is 65+ and max I can get on laptop (if in same room is also 65+) ... It around abt same even if both r in different room ... So wht faster speed r u talking abt? Is it abt sharing files from one pc to other?

no no.. i mean 65kb is enough internet speed for chatting and emailing. this is so i can go anywhere in house and work.and if i want to download anything.. i can attach LAN cable to laptop.btw are u able to pair ubuntu and vista? and ping each other using bluetooth?

65+ is enough for youtube streaming too .. without any buffer ... I suppose u r considering it as kbps ... But wht I was saying is 65+ kBps ... It means around 520kbps ... So tht must be good enough for u to do any work ... 😉 I haven't checked it on unbuntu to vista ... My cousin is now gone .. Will be able to check tht next weekend only ... On vista I had to activate ICS on my LAN (for my desktop) to get the net working on laptop too ... Not sure wht to do in linux ... But will check it next week and let u know ... btw bluetooth supports speeds upto 3mbps ... So speeds shouldn't be any prob ...

ohhhhhh.. 65KB/s is very good in that case. Internet sharing is easy on linux. if u are able to ping then its not much effort after that.thx again