Sharing Internet connection Between A Desktop running on Xp & laptop Running on Vista in BRIGDE MODE

• Thread starter Thread starter coolbuddyin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 21,838

coolbuddyin

Regular
ISP
dataone
Sharing An Internet connection Between A Desktop running on windows Xp and A laptop Running on Vista IN BRIGDE MODE
This type of setup allows you to individually dial the internet connection from either laptop and desktop and allows the other computer to share the internet connection when one computer connected to internet
So u can schedule the internet connection from either of two pcs
This guide useful when one cant control modem for rebooting using command promt as its connected to router

This guide illustrates how to share an internet connection between a Desktop running on Microsoft Windows XP and A Laptop Running on Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premuim
THIS GUIDE ALLOWS EITHER PC TO CONNECT TO INTERNET IN DIAL UP MODE USING RAS DAIL
IN BRIGDE MODE AND OTHER PC CAN SHARE INTERNET
THIS HELPS IN SHCEDULING THE INTERNET CONNECTION PARTICULARLY FOR DATAONE NIGHT UNLIMTED USERS…
I’m not expert at this level..so I’m sharing what ever I tried.. I don’t have proper knowledge on this subject to ensure that its fully fault proof and secure..correct me if I’m wrong
THIS GUDE MAY NOT BE USEFUL AND ATTRACTIVE FOR OTHERS
Components used are DATAONE UT-300R2U modem and Netgear WGR 614 v7
Desktop in this case wired (CONNECTED to netgear via Ehternet) and laptop via wireless
I assume that the modem is configured in brigde mode and both computers are configured to connect to internet using dialup username and password
Setup and/wiring
THIS is important..
netgear router has 4 ethernet ports
connect Ethernet cable from your modem (DATAONE UT-300R2U modem im my case) to one of 4 ethernet ports..say port 1
now connect any one of remaining 3 ports to your pc ethernet jack via supplied Ethernet cable
Now configure netgear router
Change the LAN IP OF netgear router (any router) to 192.168.0.5 or any ip other than 192.168.0.1 in range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255

U can also change the ip address of modem in range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255
also for accessing the modem
But its resetting to 192.168.1.1 when I reboot the modem don’t know the reason

one can also disable the DHCP SERVER OPTION IN MODEM AND ROUTER..BUT ITS MAY NOT BE NECESSARY ALWAYS AS WE CONFIGURE THE IP ADDRESS OF COMPTURES MANUALLY
Now Coming to Desktop
Setup Network Sharing Using NETWORK SHARING WIZARD
GO to control panel > and Launch Network setup wizard by clicking network setup wizard icon (in case of classic View)
GO to control panel > network and internet Connections and Launch Network setup wizard by clicking network setup wizard from “ pick a control panel icon”

Then press next ,next and

then select “this computer connects directly to internet.tho other computer on my network connect to internet through this computer ”..

then press next..,

next and give a name to ur computer

And don’t change the work group name..keept it as MSHOME
THE WORK NAME GROUP SHOULD BE SAME ON BOTH WHEN SETTING UP NETWORK FROM DESKTOP AND LAPTOP,THEN select printer and file sharing on

Finish the wizard

Now in go to control panel > network connections > RIGHT CLICK ON Dataone AND select properties
Then in advance tab check the box “allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection”..then select ok…it gives a warning (if I remember correcty stating that lan ip may change)..ignore it ..select ok

Then right click on local area connection and select properties

Then in general tab ..select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP ) FROM “this connection uses the following items: box”..then click properties

Now ensure that you have following values
Ip address 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.0.10 (this should be the ip address of laptop)
Preferred DNS server 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS server 208.67.220.220
(These are open dns values)

You have to install a patch in windows xp to make your windows xp detectable in the vista computer in network map
When you run Network Map on a Windows Vista-based computer, computers that are running Windows XP do not appear on the network diagram
This problem occurs if the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder component is not installed on the Windows XP-based computer.

Network Map in Windows Vista makes network diagrams of the connections between network devices that can be used to troubleshoot connectivity problems. Network Map uses a discovery protocol called Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) that queries other devices on the network to determine how the network is organized.

Windows Vista includes the software components that implement the LLTD protocol. For other devices on the network to be displayed on the map, they must enable a discovery protocol that can respond to the mapping requests from the Windows Vista-based computer.

This patch can be obtained from here
Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP

Now desktop part is over

Now Laptop Part
Configure your laptop for dialing internet connection using a dial up username and password from “setup a network or connection”

Mine in this case is Dataone
I use a windows vista laptop..if its xp laptop..its same as desktop
Setup wireless network to Netgear wireless router using “Setup a new wireless network for your home or small business” wizard from “ set up a network or connection”
Then connect the laptop to wireless network

Now select go to network and internet > network connections > and

then select the dataone icon..right click > properties > Sharing Tab > check the box “allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection”..then select ok

Now select go to network and internet > network connections > wireless network connection > right click on it > properties > networking tab > select internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from this connection use following items then Select Properties

Enter the following values >
Ip address 192.168.0.10
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.0.1 (this should be the ip address of desktop)
Preferred DNS server 192.168.0.1
Alternate DNS server blank

Then press ok
Now the screen
Control panel > network and internet > network and sharing centre should look like this

When u select network map it should be like this when click on full map link

When u see the network from start menu… can see both computers

Incase IF STILL CANT browse internet on both and unable to share internet in both and also unable to share files between both make sure that BOTH these wireless / local area connection and / INTERNET CONNECTON are added to firewalls of your internet security
In my case I disabled the windows default firewall on desktop and again enabled firewall after every thing is successful..now with firewall on its working fine
So as case with Norton I added this wireless connection to Norton security exception..
U can check with these firewall things to ensure that everything works well and recheck with firewall on and firewall off
In both my computers firewalls are on and file and internet sharing working fine

This guide I tell u works great for those who have night unlimited plans and want to share internet connection between two computers..so they can schedule the connection within computer using windows task schedule rather than restarting modem

This type of setup allows you to individually dial the internet connection from either laptop and desktop and allows the other computer to share the internet connection when one computer connected to internet

HERE the screen how it looks when internet from laptop is shared on pc

Thanks man but can you post similiar one for xp pc and Xp laptop one? btw i have Netgear Wireless-G WG311v3 PCI adaptor ..it will work right for sharing net connection?

Many thanks ....🙂I needed it very much as i have xp on desktop and vista on laptop but no wireless modem. Am thinking of buying one soon but didnt knew how to configure in desktop and laptop to work simultaneously or individually.

Thanks man but can you post similiar one for xp pc and Xp laptop one? btw i have Netgear Wireless-G WG311v3 PCI adaptor ..it will work right for sharing net connection?

you can share with wireless-g network adaptor
create a new home or small office network or wireless network on your both computers..make sure both have same workgroup name
then u can share
if both pcs are xp..its much easier
in pc xp part is same as in this guide..when u finish network wizard it asks to save the confuguration settings to a pendrive or cd.. so that it can be used in other computer ..use this pendrive or cd to configure ur laptop

or else u can follow this
for laptop part use same method as in xp desktop..as ur running on xp..and no need to install patch also

here u can share internet connection in laptop as long as desktop is on as ur sharing it from desktop (modem directly connected to desktop)
when desktop is off ..u cant browse net in laptop..as there will be no network between laptop and pc

Thanks man got connected but cant access internet from laptop nor can see shared drives. I got confused in the 1st part as i have D-Link adsl 2+ router which is always connected i dont use 'BSNL' connection to dial.

Thanks man got connected but cant access internet from laptop nor can see shared drives. I got confused in the 1st part as i have D-Link adsl 2+ router which is always connected i dont use 'BSNL' connection to dial.

pls tell how u connectod ur both computers

Just as you said and done via usb flash drive but Instead of 192.168.0.1 of Lan ip address of desktop i used '192.168.1.2' (because if i change it net wont connect) . As im using Dataone in PppoE mode so I Changed the value in internet Protocol (TCP/IP ) of LAN in Desktop and Wireless network setting in Laptop is that correct?Also i Didnt get the first part btw where you change settings in Router. how and what value should i enter in mine D-Link glb 502t router.Btw as i connected now shouldn't atleast the file sharing work now properly? is there anyway where i can properly check did i connected properly, some ping values etc?

Just as you said and done via usb flash drive but Instead of 192.168.0.1 of Lan ip address of desktop i used '192.168.1.2' (because if i change it net wont connect) .

As im using Dataone in PppoE mode so I Changed the value in internet Protocol (TCP/IP ) of LAN in Desktop and Wireless network setting in Laptop is that correct?

Also i Didnt get the first part btw where you change settings in Router. how and what value should i enter in mine D-Link glb 502t router.

Btw as i connected now shouldn't atleast the file sharing work now properly? is there anyway where i can properly check did i connected properly, some ping values etc?

both ur comp working on xp right?
file sharing to work make sure ur laptop.,desktop., and router three same ip range
192.168.1.* in your case
use ips from 192.168.1.3 instead of 192.168.1.2 is used for usb interface of dataone modem
and also check that work group name in both computers same,.u can check it in my computer > properties > computer name

Hi,Why do you have to bridge?I am using BSNL Data one internet thrugh the for port router provided to use Two PCs with Win XP and a MacBook with Mac OSX. We need to power the router and any pc twe want and connect to internet.Some settings need be done in the router setup, In case u need details let me know.KaranbirSoin

i have vista desktop and vista laptop how to share files? i am able to connect laptop from desktop . but when i try connecting desktop from laptop(wireless) it is not allowing me. i have bsnl ZXDSL 531B modem.

Sharing An Internet connection Between A Desktop running on windows Xp and A laptop Running on Vista IN BRIGDE MODE
So u can schedule the internet connection from either of two pcs
This guide useful when one cant control modem for rebooting using command promt as its connected to router

This guide illustrates how to share an internet connection between a Desktop running on Microsoft Windows XP and A Laptop Running on Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premuim
THIS GUIDE ALLOWS EITHER PC TO CONNECT TO INTERNET IN DIAL UP MODE USING RAS DAIL
IN BRIGDE MODE AND OTHER PC CAN SHARE INTERNET
THIS HELPS IN SHCEDULING THE INTERNET CONNECTION PARTICULARLY FOR DATAONE NIGHT UNLIMTED USERS…
I’m not expert at this level..so I’m sharing what ever I tried.. I don’t have proper knowledge on this subject to ensure that its fully fault proof and secure..correct me if I’m wrong
THIS GUDE MAY NOT BE USEFUL AND ATTRACTIVE FOR OTHERS
Components used are DATAONE UT-300R2U modem and Netgear WGR 614 v7
Desktop in this case wired (CONNECTED to netgear via Ehternet) and laptop via wireless
I assume that the modem is configured in brigde mode and both computers are configured to connect to internet using dialup username and password
Setup and/wiring
THIS is important..
netgear router has 4 ethernet ports
connect Ethernet cable from your modem (DATAONE UT-300R2U modem im my case) to one of 4 ethernet ports..say port 1
now connect any one of remaining 3 ports to your pc ethernet jack via supplied Ethernet cable
Now configure netgear router
Change the LAN IP OF netgear router (any router) to 192.168.0.5 or any ip other than 192.168.0.1 in range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255

U can also change the ip address of modem in range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255
also for accessing the modem
But its resetting to 192.168.1.1 when I reboot the modem don’t know the reason

one can also disable the DHCP SERVER OPTION IN MODEM AND ROUTER..BUT ITS MAY NOT BE NECESSARY ALWAYS AS WE CONFIGURE THE IP ADDRESS OF COMPTURES MANUALLY
Now Coming to Desktop
Setup Network Sharing Using NETWORK SHARING WIZARD
GO to control panel > and Launch Network setup wizard by clicking network setup wizard icon (in case of classic View)
GO to control panel > network and internet Connections and Launch Network setup wizard by clicking network setup wizard from “ pick a control panel icon”

Then press next ,next and

then select “this computer connects directly to internet.tho other computer on my network connect to internet through this computer ”..

then press next..,

next and give a name to ur computer

And don’t change the work group name..keept it as MSHOME
THE WORK NAME GROUP SHOULD BE SAME ON BOTH WHEN SETTING UP NETWORK FROM DESKTOP AND LAPTOP,THEN select printer and file sharing on

thanks......