sharing across different lans

• Thread starter Thread starter firoz16
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 10,604
I concluded that all our traffic goes through only the router based on a tracert to random sites. Always only the router shows up not the SAM server. Perhaps this is the incomplete final part of the trace that the site cannot go to. However through the site and tracert my SAM server ip (the one I got from bband.ini) does not appear.

Oh, you mean have you tried it from http://visualroute.visualware.com and your SAM server doesn't show in the results?

Well strange, considering it shows in mine bang at the end of the Sify network. Thereafter the network of another company called DATA ACCESS INDIA LTD. starts. It looks like DATA ACCESS provides the international gateway to Sify.

As for doing a tracert to random sites I don't think Sify anywhere allows it along with pinging random sites.
My tracert packets get lost past the Acceess Point itself.

Even from http://visualroute.visualware.com the packets are lost after 2-3 hops past the SAM server. So Sify cuts off us from tracerouting out from our computers to the internet and anyone tracerouting from the internet to our computers.

that means we shld be able to share files abover our limit(internet).but its not working.i tested with a p2p tool(emule) and yahoo messenger.no use :-(

I'm not sure what emule is but obviously yahoo messenger won't work. It requires you to login to your Yahoo account and how can you do that if you're not connected?
Use Borgchat instead.

Alas! Tis' not a miracle tool for it is limited by LAN and can only contact people on the same LAN. An issue I had run into is when someone had an XP firewall running and could not send files but could receive them because of it.

Well anand u can use yahoo messenger many times it do work . Bcoz u need internet to login but when u do file transfer in yahoo messnger it opens direct connection to other ip . It works with people on diff lan's also and ofcourse speeds are abt 1 MB per sec. But some times u also get f**kng error like other users are behind firewall and bla bla then the messenger uploads file to yahoo server and p@$$es through it .This doesnt works always though 🙁

Yahoo messenger working sounds cool.But I am thinking can we specify the target IPs on Yahoo Messenger? Because if we just start a File Transfer after logging into the Yahoo network (after a Sify login) then our public IPs would be used. So we would have to stay online to continue the file transfer and face slow speeds.Also if we can specify a target IP then maybe we don't even need to login to the Yahoo network and just connect with eachother like any other file sharing program 🙂 Tip: If you get a "Can't send file" error on Yahoo ask the other person to turn off his firewall for the duration of the transfer or if the person is tech savvy ask him to open up the port used for the Yahoo File Transfer in his firewall 😉

I don't think you get to specify the IP Yahoo uses. There was some guy who came up with a patch to make msn messenger work offline across LAN's but that only worked on XP. Also with Borgchat I have gotten sustained speeds of 2.5 MBps 🙂

Yes but yahoo makes direct connection for file sharing . We dont need to specify it automatically takes up local ip too . I have done this manyy times thats whyy um saying 🙂

well. yahoo file sharing practically s*cks. msn messenger is perhaps the only thing from msn that actually works with file sharing.

I had a friend in my network, we both had sify from the same CTO, we shared files from Yahoo! messenger at lan speeds.edit: firoz16 your signature s*cks.

Originally posted by anand@Jan 10 2005, 05:13 PM
Also with Borgchat I have gotten sustained speeds of 2.5 MBps 🙂
[snapback]4281[/snapback]
[/quote]

u mean on different lans

okok i will remove it.(abt my signature)