Setting up Vonage with BSNL

• Thread starter Thread starter temptemptemp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 94
  • Views Views 67,115

temptemptemp

🙂 Hi,Recently setup the vonage equipment at Ahmedabad. Some lessons from the experience to share. >>>>Huawei MODEM WA1003A ADSL MODEMGo to Setup > Select DCHP Config  Select ‘Server On’ [Important: you need to have modem allocating dynamic addresses to the internal devices including the Vonage router. In my case the tele. co. initially made me to allocated fixed addresses. This did not make sense. Had a hard time figuring out. In short the modem should have DHCP allocation on]Finding out Hostname and Domain Name> Go to Setup > Management IP >You can see them there*Important: Keep NAT on modem. Don’t know about the firewall. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>>>Vonage Linksys router> Setup > Select “Obtain IP dynamically” > Put Hostname and Domain name (I have not checked whether this is optional or mandatory. In my case I did put both hostname and domain, I discovered from the modem configuration, as shown above) > Save settings In case of Vonage Linksys brochure, it tells you select “PPoE” and put the username and password. But I learnt hard way that “Obtain IP dynamically” make things work. “Internet” status line on router and “LAN” light on modem should be blinking among other things. This is tricky because it blinks just a bit. This indicates that router and modem are communicating. The steady internet light means that they are not communicating. Thus it seems that logically that modem authenticates PPoE username and password with the PSTN server, while router should be just be talking to the modem. It need not re-authenticate. ** NOTE: THERE IS NO NEED OF PROCURING STATIC IP FROM PSTN. Normal connection works fine

Hi,I am trying to setup the vonage with wa1003a modem in India. We are facing problems when applying the changes related to DHCP. Logged into modem page and tried to enable the DHCP feature. But the changes are not getting applied.Changed the network IP settings in the computer to retrieve it dynamically.We are not able to enable the dhcp feature on specifically in the modem. As you had mentioned, PPPOe is not working.For me even "Obtain dynamic IP automatically" also is not working.Desktop has XP OS, router from vonage is RTP300 model and wa1003a modem from BSNL for dataone connection.Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance

Its very simple if you follow some simple sets.

Now that you have done some changes in your Linksys RPT300 modem, you would have to reset to factory settings.

Then
Internet setttings has to be PPPOE, enter the user name with the domain name,

user name: abc@def.com(I am not sure of BSNL domain in ur city)
password

enter DNS

If you are still not able to connect, then I can probably take some screen shots and send u across over the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent Motorola VT1005 to bangalore. My sister back in india say's the internet works fine with the bsnl Huawei WA1003A modem... but when WAN socket of motorola is connected to Ethernet socket of bsnl and the phone being connected to Line1 or Line2 of the motorola...the phone does not work. Either the phone goes dead or the dial tone appears but once the US number is dialed the phone line gets disconnected. Can some one please help me and tell me how to go with it.Thanks in advance

QUOTE(ashsri @ May 26 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]52321[/snapback]
I sent Motorola VT1005 to bangalore. My sister back in india say's the internet works fine with the bsnl Huawei WA1003A modem... but when WAN socket of motorola is connected to Ethernet socket of bsnl and the phone being connected to Line1 or Line2 of the motorola...the phone does not work. Either the phone goes dead or the dial tone appears but once the US number is dialed the phone line gets disconnected.

Can some one please help me and tell me how to go with it.

Thanks in advance
[/b]
hi,
My name is NAWAZ
if u could tell me the network setup, may be i can help u. first check whether BSNL net which u have is a pppoe configured or DHCP i.e do you have any username and passwd for internet. Motorola VT1005 will be having one power light. When u reboot this device it will start blinking once which means device booting up then it will blink twice that means waiting for the internet from ur BSNL modem, then 3 blink which means contacting vonage server, 4 blink registering the device in vonage proxy then the power light will go solid. U will not get dial tone untill and unless u have solid power light. Most of the time the device will be stuck in 2 blink which means the device is waiting for internet connection from BSNL. Phone should be in line 1. Modem connected to wan port and pc connected to pc port in vt1005.
If any queries suerly i can help you. Also can mail me at naaz781@yahoo.com

Last edited by a moderator:
All,Am traveling to Chennai, India next week and planning to take my Vonage - VOIP phone with me and use it in India.I need your help finding an appropriate Dataone plan to use the Vonage phone.1. Does Motorola VT2442 modem works with BSNS Dataone broadband?2. What is the best Dataone plan to subscribe for good quality call considering upstream and downstream speeds?Would appreciate, if any of you guys could share your experience in finding a right plan and setting up the Vonage phone in india?Thanks,Raja

^ someone said that vonage requires high upload speeds .BSNL Dataone home plans have 256kbps download speedand 64kbps upload speed . if these speeds are sufficient ,then I'd suggest to apply for BSNL home unlimited plus plan .Motorola VT2442 will work with BSNL Dataone .

QUOTE(seshu @ Oct 3 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]64048[/snapback]
^ someone said that vonage requires high upload speeds .

BSNL Dataone home plans have 256kbps download speed
and 64kbps upload speed . if these speeds are sufficient ,
then I'd suggest to apply for BSNL home unlimited plus plan .

Motorola VT2442 will work with BSNL Dataone .
[/b]
Thanks for the feedback. I guess vonage require 90 KBPS upload speed for good call quality

QUOTE(seshu @ Oct 3 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]64048[/snapback]
^ someone said that vonage requires high upload speeds .

BSNL Dataone home plans have 256kbps download speed
and 64kbps upload speed . if these speeds are sufficient ,
then I'd suggest to apply for BSNL home unlimited plus plan .

Motorola VT2442 will work with BSNL Dataone .
[/b]

Hi seshu

Who said u that the download speed is 256 kbps & upload is 64 kbps in 256 kbps plan. If u dont know the right answer then dont reply it, dont mis guide the user. Dear rajarajeswaran actually we get download speed only 25-35 kbps average speed & upload is less than half of the download one. More over any kind of Modem/Router will work with BSNL Broadband & 256 Kbps is enough, I have sucessfully configured Linksys device with vonage Package its working superb with best voice quality.

I hope this information will sufficient for you.
Warm Regards kash !!!

^ [off topic] well ! I do not want to argue here friend 🙂 ...

I live in Bangalore and have a BSNL Broad band connection with Type 2 Modem. My daughter has given us the Vonage VOIP from US with Motorola VT2442 Router to be routed through this Broad band connection. I am unable to get this connected. Can anyone help me out.Regards, Jayanthi Vijaykumar

please wait for netfreak's reply. he is using Vonage with BSNL ( or maybe MTNL ). He can definitely get you connected.

I have vonage router. Actually i fixed it to the Airtel .But i shifted the place here there is no Airtel, so i got BSNL broadband , but router is not working with the BSNL connection. Please give me any suggestion u have.